Home Veterans Law2019 Veterans Affairs (VA) Disability Calculator

Veterans Disability Calculator

Add Disabilities

If your disability involves an arm or leg, select the appropriate extremity and the disability rating. If your disability does not involve an extremity, just select the disability rating.

Select Disability Rating

Additional Payment Amount Factors

Current Disability Rating

0%

Current Disabilities Applied

No Disabilities Added Yet

Bilateral Arm Factor Applied: 0

Bilateral Leg Factor Applied: 0

Your Monthly Payment Amount

$0

Calculator

2019 Veterans Affairs (VA) Disability Calculator

Calculating your combined disability rating using VA math can prove to be a challenging and confusing process. When using VA math to determine your disability rating, what may first appear as simple addition turns into calculating percentages of percentages. Using VA math, 2+2 does not equal 4: this is why we have developed our VA disability calculator to help veterans know what to expect from their VA disability compensation claim.

If you are a veteran with one service-connected disability, your combined rating will be that of said disability, no math required. The complications emerge when more than one rating must be combined to calculate your combined rating. VA assigns a disability rating for each service-connected condition. Individual ratings are not simply added together to calculate a combined rating.    Here’s how VA math works:

Let’s say a veteran is rated at 50% for PTSD, 20% for TBI residuals, and 10% for tinnitus. Again, determining your combined disability rating is not as easy as adding 50+20+10 to equal 80%.

To begin calculating a combined rating, start with your highest individual rating and subtract it from 100%; this 100% represents the portion of the veteran that is NOT disabled, which the VA calls “efficiency.”

Step By Step Instructions to Compute Your Disability Rating

Step 1:

First, subtract 50% (PTSD rating) from 100% (non-disabled/efficiency). This results in 50% efficiency.

100% – 50% = 50%

Here, you have a base disability rating of 50%.

Step 2:

Next, take 20% (TBI residuals) of 50% (remaining efficiency), which yields 10%.

20% of 50% is 10%

Step 3:

Then, add 10% to the 50% disability rating previously determined. This results in a 60% disability rating and a 40% efficiency rating.

50% + 10% = 60% disabled                            100%-60%=40% efficiency

Step 4:

The 10% disability rating for tinnitus is then multiplied by the remaining efficiency of 40%, yielding 4%

10% of 40% = 4%

Step 5:

Adding 4% to the 60% disability rating totals a 64% combined disability rating. VA always rounds ratings to the nearest multiple of 10, so the 64% rating would be rounded down to a final combined rating of 60%. A 60% rating from the VA entitles the veteran to $1,083.52 per month with no dependents.

4 + 60 = 64% -> 60% disabled

Other influences such as the bilateral factor can play a role in increasing a combined rating if certain criteria are met. A veteran may also receive a higher monthly compensation amount if they have dependents. Each of these factors are integrated into our VA disability calculator. Even if you calculate a rating lower than 100%, you may still be entitled to compensation equal to that 100% rating through individual unemployability (TDIU). TDIU is reserved for veterans whose service-connected disabilities prevent them from working.

VA math is confusing and frustrating.  Previously, veterans were limited to using the Combined Ratings Table and Compensation Benefit Rate Tables provided by the VA to calculate their combined disability rating and compensation amount, but those days are over.  Use our simple VA disability rating calculator to determine your disability rating and compensation amount; no tables or math skills needed. If you would like to learn more about retro benefits, take a look at our back pay calculator.

If you believe that your service-connected disability(s) warrants a higher rating or if your service-connected disability(s) keeps you from working, contact our office for a free consultation.

Disclaimer: This calculator uses VA disability ratings and compensation amounts as of December 1, 2018. It does not account for historical compensation amounts. This calculator is intended to provide an estimate of your VA disability rating and compensation amount. You should not rely on this calculator in your decision making or for your financial planning. This calculator does not provide legal advice, and is not a substitute for legal advice. We do not represent or guarantee that we will obtain the numbers shown in this calculator in your case.

Share this Post