If you are a Georgia resident who served our country on active duty in the U.S. military and became disabled due to an event, injury, or illness that occurred during your service, you might be eligible for disability benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The VA grants monetary disability benefits for service-connected disabilities.
That said, you might face challenges during the application process, often leading to a denial. If you received a denial, it is not the end of the road for you. A VA disability lawyer serving Georgia at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD can help you appeal the denial.
You can schedule a free consultation with a member of our legal team by calling 800-544-9144.
Georgia VA Benefit Resources
Georgia VA Regional Benefit Offices
Atlanta/Decatur: Atlanta Regional Benefit Office
Georgia VA Medical Centers
|Augusta: Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center|
|Decatur: Atlanta VA Health Care System|
|Dublin: Carl Vinson VA Medical Center|
Georgia VA Statistics
As of 2016, Georgia has:
- Nearly 700,000 veterans living in the state (nearly nine percent of the state’s adult population)
- Over 176,000 state residents receiving VA disability benefits
- Nearly 307,000 veterans currently enrolled in the VA health care system (over 204,000 who have sought treatment at a VA medical center)
Georgia’s veteran population includes 38 percent who are 65 years or older and over 13.7 percent who are military retirees, meaning they completed enough years in the service to retire with full military benefits.
How to Win VA Disability Benefits in Georgia
Just because you served in the military and have a valid diagnosis of a disabling condition does not mean you qualify for disability benefits. Many veterans who go in with this mindset receive denials. While you have the option to appeal, the process can be challenging and rife with pitfalls. Our job is to give you the best chance of receiving a grant of benefits by helping you to avoid such traps.
A winning appeal for VA disability must demonstrate the following:
- Evidence of an event, injury, or illness during active duty service;
- A current diagnosis of a disabling medical condition by a qualified professional; and
- A link between the event, injury, or illness and your current disability.
Establishing this link, or “nexus” represents the most important component of a successful appeal. The nexus between an event in your military service and your disabling medical condition must be strong for your appeal to have the best chance of being granted.
VA Disability Compensation Levels
While we must first prove service connection, we also take it upon ourselves to argue for the highest possible combined disability rating, as this number determines how much you will receive in monthly compensation.
The VA rates your disability between 0 and 100 percent. At a 0 percent rating, you do not receive monthly compensation, but you might qualify for other benefits, including health care. With a combined 100 percent rating, you qualify for the maximum in benefits.
As of December 31, 2018, the VA benefits schedule based on combined disability rating is:
- 10 percent disability rating: $140.05 per month
- 20 percent disability rating: $276.84 per month
- 30 percent disability rating: $428.83 per month
- 40 percent disability rating: $617.23 per month
- 50 percent disability rating: $879.36 per month
- 60 percent disability rating: $1,113.86 per month
- 70 percent disability rating: $1,403.71 per month
- 80 percent disability rating: $1,631.69 per month
- 90 percent disability rating: $1,833.62 per month
- 100 percent disability rating: $3,057.13 per month
If you have a combined 30 percent rating or higher, you can receive additional compensation on behalf of dependents in your household, including your spouse, children, or dependent parents.
We Offer Free Consultations to All Veterans — Call 800-544-9144 Today.
If you served our country and are now disabled due to your service, we want to help. Count on our legal team at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD to fight for the benefits you deserve. We have helped thousands of veterans receive the disability benefits they were rightfully owed, and we can put our resources to work for you. Call 800-544-9144 today to schedule your free consultation.
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »