How Do I Establish a Service Connection for My Disability?


​To receive veterans benefits for a physical or mental impairment, you must establish a service connection to your health condition. At the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD, our lawyers will fight to help you get all of the VA benefits you deserve.

Service Connected Disability Compensation

VA provides compensation to veterans who have a disability or disease that is related to his or her period of military service. A disability or disease related to a veteran’s period of military service is otherwise known as service connection or a service-connected disability. There are several bases, according to VA law, for veterans to establish entitlement to service-connected disability. For example, VA law will entitle a veteran to an award of service connection if he or she can establish the following:

  1. an in-service disability, injury or incident;
  2. a current disability; and,
  3. a medical link between the current disability and the in-service disability, injury or incident.

The law does not require a veteran to demonstrate that he or she was diagnosed with a disability or disease while in the military, but rather that any current disability or disease arises during his military service, including the performance of a military occupational specialty.

If you are already receiving VA benefits and the symptoms associated with your service connected disability have increased since your last rating, you can file a VA claim for an increased rating. If your disability is preventing you from working, you can also apply for Total Disability Based on Individual Unemployability (TDIU).

« Return to the Veterans' Resource Center

Related Pages