How Do I Establish a Service Connection for My Disability?
To receive veterans benefits for a physical or mental impairment, you must establish a service connection to your health condition. At the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD, our lawyers will fight to help you get all of the VA benefits you deserve.
Service Connected Disability Compensation
VA provides compensation to veterans who have a disability or disease that is related to his or her period of military service. A disability or disease related to a veteran’s period of military service is otherwise known as service connection or a service-connected disability. There are several bases, according to VA law, for veterans to establish entitlement to service-connected disability. For example, VA law will entitle a veteran to an award of service connection if he or she can establish the following:
- an in-service disability, injury or incident;
- a current disability; and,
- a medical link between the current disability and the in-service disability, injury or incident.
The law does not require a veteran to demonstrate that he or she was diagnosed with a disability or disease while in the military, but rather that any current disability or disease arises during his military service, including the performance of a military occupational specialty.
If you are already receiving VA benefits and the symptoms associated with your service connected disability have increased since your last rating, you can file a VA claim for an increased rating. If your disability is preventing you from working, you can also apply for Total Disability Based on Individual Unemployability (TDIU).
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »