Who Are Blue Water Navy Veterans?
Vietnam-era Blue Water Navy veterans are considered to be those who served aboard ships in the open waters off the coast of Vietnam during the Vietnam War, and who did not go ashore. It is estimated that there are between 50,000 and 90,000 Blue Water Navy veterans.
Blue Water Navy veterans will now be afforded the same presumption of herbicide agent exposure as those who served with “boots on the ground” in Vietnam. If you are a Blue Water Navy veteran who suffers from one of the presumptive conditions associated with Agent Orange exposure, you are now eligible for VA disability compensation benefits.
Blue Water Navy Veterans and Agent Orange Exposure
Historically, VA has excluded Blue Water Navy veterans from its presumption of herbicide agent exposure based on a decision issued in the case Haas v. Peake. However, on January 29, 2019, the Federal Circuit issued a decision in Procopio v. Wilkie, overruling Haas to include Blue Water Navy veterans under the presumption of exposure. As a result, many more veterans are now eligible for VA disability compensation and have an easier path to getting the benefits to which they are rightfully entitled.
Are Blue Water Navy Veterans Eligible for Agent Orange Related Benefits?
In order to be eligible for the presumption of Agent Orange exposure, you must meet the following criteria:
- You served offshore within twelve nautical miles of the landmass of Vietnam between 1962 and 1975; and
- You are currently diagnosed with one of the medical conditions associated with Agent Orange exposure acknowledged by VA
If you meet the following criteria, you may want to consider filing a claim for service-connected compensation for your medical condition based on Agent Orange exposure.
VA’s List of Presumptive Conditions Associated with Agent Orange Exposure
VA presumes the following conditions are associated with exposure to Agent Orange:
- AL Amyloidosis
- Chronic B-Cell Leukemia
- Diabetes Mellitus Type II
- Hodgkin’s Disease
- Ischemic Heart Disease (including Coronary Artery Disease, stable and unstable angina, myocardial infarction, and sudden cardiac death)
- Multiple Myeloma
- Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Peripheral Neuropathy, Early-Onset
- Porphyria Cutanea Tarda
- Prostate Cancer
- Respiratory Cancers, including Lung Cancer
- Soft Tissue Sarcomas (other than osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Kaposi’s sarcoma, and mesothelioma)
As of now, if you are a Blue Water Navy veteran with one of the above-mentioned conditions, VA should award service connection on a presumptive basis.
How Much Can I Receive in Monthly Compensation?
The amount of monthly compensation a veteran receives depends on his or her combined disability rating. The current VA disability compensation rates as of 2019 range from $140.05 to $3,057.13 for a single veteran with no dependents. However, you can receive additional compensation for eligible dependents, including: spouse, minor children, children between ages 18-23 and still in school, and dependent parents.
How Can Blue Water Navy Veterans Apply for VA Disability Benefits Based on Agent Orange Exposure?
You can apply online using eBenefits or in person with through a Veterans Service Organization or VA-accredited agent. However, Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD is very experienced in helping veterans pursue VA disability benefits based on Agent Orange exposure and may be able to assist in your case. For a free case evaluation, call 800-544-9144, or fill out the form on the right.
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »