Veterans living in Mississippi are eligible for VA disability compensation if they suffer from a disability related to their military service. You can receive disability benefits by filing a claim with VA, but as some veterans have discovered, the process can be long and difficult. A veterans disability lawyer serving Mississippi at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD may be able to help.
Mississippi VA Benefit Resources
Mississippi has a Regional Benefit Office located in Jackson and two VA Medical Centers located in Biloxi and Jackson.
Mississippi VA Regional Benefit Offices
- Jackson: Jackson Regional Benefit Office
Mississippi VA Medical Centers
Mississippi Community Based Outpatient Clinics
- Columbus: Columbus Clinic
- Greenville: Greenville CBOC
- Hattiesburg: Hattiesburg CBOC
- Holly Springs: Holly Springs CBOC
- Kosciusko: Kosciusko CBOC
- McComb: McComb CBOC
- Meridian: Meridian CBOC
- Natchez: Natchez CBOC
- Tupelo: Tupelo VA Clinic
Mississippi VA Statistics
Nearly 200,000 veterans call Mississippi home, comprising just over 8 percent of the state’s population. At least 42,000 veterans in Mississippi receive VA disability benefits. Nearly 100,000 are enrolled in VA’s health care system, of which almost 70,000 have received treatment at a VA health care facility.
More than 41 percent of veterans in Mississippi are 65 years or older, and 14 percent are military retirees.
How to Receive VA Disability Benefits in Mississippi
At Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD, we are dedicated to helping Mississippi veterans pursue the VA disability benefits to which they are rightfully entitled.
In order for service-connected compensation to be granted, you must demonstrate three things. First, you must show VA that you have a current, diagnosed condition. Second, you must demonstrate that you experienced an event, illness, or injury during your military service. Third, you must establish a “nexus” between the two.
You Have a Current, Diagnosed Condition
To receive VA disability benefits, you must have a current, diagnosed condition. Unlike the Social Security Administration’s SSDI benefits, VA does not require you to be totally disabled to receive benefits. You may receive VA benefits for a condition that is partially disabling.
You Experienced an Event, Illness, or Injury
You must demonstrate that you experienced an event, injury, or illness during your military service.
Establish a “Nexus”
A “nexus” is a connection between your current, diagnosed condition and the event, illness, or injury that occurred during service. A nexus opinion must come from a qualified medical professional. A positive “nexus” opinion will state that it is “at least as likely as not” that your condition is due to your military service.
VA Disability Ratings
VA uses a numerical scale to rate how severe your condition is. Your combined disability rating determines how much you receive in monthly compensation. With a 100 percent disability rating, you receive the maximum amount of schedular benefits.
As of 2018, the current schedular amounts of VA disability compensation are as follows:
- 10 percent disability rating: $136.24
- 20 percent: disability rating: $269.30
- 30 percent disability rating: $417.15
- 40 percent disability rating: $600.90
- 50 percent disability rating: $855.41
- 60 percent disability rating: $1,083.52
- 70 percent disability rating: $1,365.48
- 80 percent disability rating: $1,587.25
- 90 percent disability rating: $1,783.68
- 100 percent disability rating: $2,973.86
What is TDIU?
Even if your combined disability rating is less than 100 percent, you may be eligible to receive the maximum schedular benefits. Total Disability Based on Individual Unemployability (TDIU) provides veterans with monthly compensation equivalent to a 100 percent schedular rating. To be eligible for TDIU, you must be unable to secure and maintain substantially gainful employment as a result of your service-connected conditions.
Call 800-544-9144 Today To Speak with a Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD Team Member
If you were denied VA disability compensation, the veterans lawyers serving Mississippi from Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD may be able to help.
To speak with a member of our team, call 800-544-9144.
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »