If your benefits have been wrongly denied, in whole or in part, you have the right to appeal to the insurance company. Most policies require that you appeal first to the insurance company before going to the court. You likely have a limited time to appeal. If you miss this appeal deadline, you may lose your rights.
You do not need a lawyer to file your appeal with the insurance company. You have the option of handling your own appeal. You must follow the rules of your own policy or plan. Depending on the circumstance of your claim, this may involve requesting a copy of the claim file from the insurance company; requesting a copy of the plan-governing documents in writing from the plan administrator; gathering information from your medical providers that evidences the impairments that keep you from working; analyzing all of the documents collected to determine what additional information is needed to prove your claim; communicate with experts and identify additional testing needed to measure your impairments; gather any material information that the insurance company told you was missing; analyze the insurance claim file to identify legal and factual errors made by the insurance company; analyze the claim file to identify procedural violations of ERISA committed by the insurance company; submit a personal statement explaining why you are disabled along with witness statements; draft an appeal letter explaining why you meet the terms for payment of benefits and why the insurance company’s decision was wrong.
As you can see, there is a lot of work to do to prepare your appeal properly, and a short time to do it. Therefore, we recommend that you consult an experienced ERISA LTD attorney as soon as possible after receiving your adverse benefit determination. Do not rely on your doctor, an insurance agent or even a lawyer who is not experienced in this complex area of the law. Your appeal is a critical point in your claim. Many times, particularly with an ERISA-governed LTD claim, your appeal will be the last time that you can submit evidence in support of your claim. After you receive a final appeal denial, you may not be allowed to submit new evidence in court.« Return to the ERISA & Insurance Litigation Resource Center
- Do You Have Disability Insurance Coverage?
- Do You Qualify for Long Term Disability Benefits?
- What Is ERISA and How Does It Impact Your Disability Insurance Claim?
- How Do You Learn More About Your Disability Insurance Coverage?
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »