VA Disability Lawyer Serving Piscataway, NJ
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides monthly tax-free compensation to veterans with disabling conditions related to their military service. If you live in Piscataway, New Jersey and have a service-related injury or illness, you may be eligible for these benefits.
If VA denied you benefits, a VA disability lawyer at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick serving Piscataway, NJ may be able to help you appeal the denial. Reach out to CCK today for a free case evaluation to see if we may be able to assist.
VA Services in Piscataway, NJ
The Piscataway VA Outpatient Clinic offers primary care and specialty health care services. These include mental health care, laboratory services, eye screening, nutrition counseling, and more. Veterans can learn more or make an appointment with the clinic by visiting VA’s website.
VA Regional Office
The Newark Regional Office assists veteran living in Piscataway and across New Jersey with applying for VA benefits and other services.
Other VA Medical Centers in New Jersey
How to Get VA Disability in Piscataway, NJ
Generally, veterans must provide evidence of the following three things to qualify for VA disability benefits:
- An in-service event, injury, or illness;
- A current diagnosis of a disabling condition by a medical professional; and
- A nexus, or link, between the in-service event and current disabling condition.
Once VA determines that these three elements are met, VA will assign a disability rating to the service-connected condition. Ratings range from 0 to 100 percent and are assigned based on the severity of the individual condition and its symptoms. Then, the combination of a veteran’s individual disability ratings using VA math determines their monthly payment amount.
Current VA Disability Rates
As of December 1st, 2023 the VA disability rate benefit amounts are as follows:
- 0 percent disability rating: $0.00 per month
- 10 percent disability rating: $171.23 per month
- 20 percent disability rating: $338.49 per month
- 30 percent disability rating: $524.31 per month
- 40 percent disability rating: $755.28 per month
- 50 percent disability rating: $1,075.16 per month
- 60 percent disability rating: $1,361.88 per month
- 70 percent disability rating: $1,716.28 per month
- 80 percent disability rating: $1,995.01 per month
- 90 percent disability rating: $2,241.91 per month
- 100 percent disability rating: $3,737.85 per month
What Benefits Does a 100% Disabled Veteran Get?
As mentioned above, a veteran with a 100 percent disability rating and no dependents receives $3,737.85 per month from VA as of December 1st, 2023.
In addition to monthly compensation, veterans with a 100 percent disability rating may also qualify for the following benefits:
- Medical, dental, and mental health care from VA’s Health Care Priority Group 1
- A grant from VA to help build, modify, or buy a specially adapted home to meet a veteran’s needs
- Military identification cards
- Emergency care outside of VA
- State-offered benefits (e.g., vehicle registration)
- Dependents’ Educational Assistance program
- Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) services
- And more.
How to Appeal a VA Decision in Piscataway, NJ
If VA denied you disability benefits on your claim, you have the option to file an appeal. There are a few ways to do so:
- Request a Higher-Level Reviewof your current claim by a senior VA employee;
- Submit new and relevant evidence as part of a Supplemental Claim; or
- File a Notice of Disagreementwith the Board of Veterans’ Appeals.
A CCK veterans (VA) claims lawyer serving New Jersey may be able to help you secure the compensation you deserve. We may also be able to assist you in communicating with the VA Regional Office during the appeals process.
How CCK Can Help New Jersey Veterans
The claims and appeals process can be frustrating and difficult to navigate. A CCK veterans disability lawyer serving Piscataway, NJ may be able to guide you through every step of the appeals process. Our team has decades of demonstrated success helping veterans secure the benefits they are rightfully owed.
If VA wrongly denied you benefits, reach out to CCK today at 800-544-9144 to schedule your complimentary case review.
Piscataway Blog Posts
- VA Disability Ratings and Benefits for Trachea Cancer
What is Trachea Cancer? Trachea cancer is a form of cancer that can develop in the windpipe, or trachea. The trachea is an airway that connects the nose and mouth to the lungs. The trachea splits into two tubes, the left, and right bronchi, which lead into the lungs. Tumors that are on the trachea […]
- The Board Erred When It Denied the Veteran an Increased Rating for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Headaches
Summary of the Case The Veteran served in the United States Coast Guard until February 2005. In August 2004, the Veteran filed a claim for service connection for multiple conditions including bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome and headaches. In October 2005, she was granted service connection by the Regional Office (RO), but was given noncompensable ratings. […]
- VA General Rating Formula for Mental Health Disorders Explained
Which VA Disabilities Are Rated Using This Formula? Veterans can receive VA disability compensation for both physical and mental health conditions caused by military service. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) rates mental health conditions differently than physical ailments, and not all psychiatric disorders qualify for service-connected disability compensation. Eligible mental health conditions include the […]