The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides disability benefits for veterans in New York who suffer from disabling medical conditions as a result of their military service. If you have a disability that arose from your time in the military, you might be eligible to receive monthly compensation, healthcare, and other benefits from the VA. You can receive VA disability even if you are not 100 percent disabled.
A VA disability lawyer serving New York at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD can help you receive the VA disability benefits to which you are entitled. Many veterans find the process complex and frustrating, and denials are common.
Our legal team has helped many veterans win benefits, and we can help you avoid the pitfalls that have kept others from receiving grants. We offer free consultations to all veterans, so call us today at 800-544-9144 to schedule yours.
New York VA Benefit Resources
As the fourth-largest U.S. state by population, New York offers two Regional Benefit Offices for assistance with your disability claim — one in New York City, the other in upstate New York. Also scattered around the state are many VA Medical Centers, hospitals and medical facilities offering free or discounted medical services exclusively to veterans.
New York VA Regional Benefit Offices
New York VA Medical Centers
New York VA Statistics
As of 2016, more than 800,000 veterans live in New York State, composing approximately 5.4 percent of the state’s total residents. Over 125,000 veterans in the state receive VA disability benefits, and over 384,000 New York veterans are enrolled in the VA healthcare system. Over 226,000 veterans received treatment at New York VA medical facilities in 2016.
Of the veterans currently living in New York, over 52 percent are 65 years or older, and nearly five percent are military retirees.
How to Win VA Disability Benefits in New York
The attorneys at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD have helped many disabled veterans win the benefits they deserve. We can put our resources to work for you, giving you the best chance of a favorable outcome for your appeal.
For your appeal to be successful, we need to prove three things to the VA:
- Evidence that an in-service injury, event, or illness occurred;
- You have a current diagnosis by a qualified medical professional; and
- That the in-service injury, event, or illness and your current diagnosis are linked.
In certain situations, the VA presumes service connection, or that your condition stemmed from an event in your military service. For instance, if you served in Vietnam between January 9, 1962 and May 7, 1975 and later developed one of the ailments on the VA’s Agent Orange conditions list, the VA presumes the cause to be exposure to Agent Orange.
Perhaps the VA does not presume service connection for your condition. That is okay. We can establish service connection by gathering and presenting evidence that links a specific event in your military service to the diagnosis of your disabling condition. For instance, we can draw upon medical records, service records, and statements from your treating physician and your superiors in the military.
VA Disability Compensation Levels
In addition to helping you receive a grant of VA disability benefits, we will also take steps to help you receive the highest disability rating from the VA for which you qualify. This combined rating determines the level of compensation you receive each month, a 0 percent rating making you eligible for no monthly compensation (but possible ancillary benefits such as healthcare) and a 100 percent combined rating qualifying you for the highest monetary benefit.
As of December 31, 2018, the VA’s schedule of disability benefits is as follows:
- 10 percent disability rating: $140.05 per month
- 20 percent disability rating: $276.84 per month
- 30 percent disability rating: $428.83 per month
- 40 percent disability rating: $617.73 per month
- 50 percent disability rating: $879.36 per month
- 60 percent disability rating: $1,113.86 per month
- 70 percent disability rating: $1,403.71 per month
- 80 percent disability rating: $1,631.69 per month
- 90 percent disability rating: $1,833.62 per month
- 100 percent disability rating: $3,057.13 per month
You can also receive additional compensation for dependents living in your household — but this only applies if you receive a combined disability rating of 30 percent or higher.
For a Free Consultation with a Team Member at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD, Call 800-544-9144 Today.
The veterans advocates at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD can help you put together a winning VA disability appeal. Let us help you the same way we have helped many disabled veterans over the years. For a free consultation, call 800-544-9144 today.
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »