Veteran (VA) Disability Lawyer Serving Utica, New York
Many veterans undergo challenges after their service ends. Sustaining injuries or illnesses during service should allow veterans to receive disability benefits, however many veterans find the process of applying for benefits overwhelming. Unfortunately, many veterans are denied the benefits to which they are entitled by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
The veterans’ disability attorneys and professionals at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD serving Utica, New York may be able to help you appeal a denied claim for benefits. Our team may be able to use its extensive experience to help you file an appeal with VA.
Call Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD today at 800-544-9144 for a free consultation.
VA Regional Benefit Offices Serving Utica, New York
VA Benefit Offices Serving Utica, New York
- Syracuse, NY: VetSuccess on Campus at Syracuse University
- Syracuse, NY: Syracuse Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Office
- Fort Drum, NY: Fort Drum Pre-Discharge Claims Intake Site
- Fort Drum, NY: Fort Drum Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Office
- Fort Drum, NY: Fort Drum IDES Site
- Albany, NY: New York Regional Office at Albany VAMC Hicksville
- Albany, NY: New York Regional Office at Albany VAMC
VA Medical Centers Serving Utica, New York
- Rome, NY: Donald J. Mitchell Department of Veterans Affairs Outpatient Clinic
- Syracuse, NY: Erie East VA Clinic
- Syracuse, NY: Syracuse, VA Medical Center
- Syracuse, NY: South Salina VA Clinic
- Erie County, NY: Erie West VA Clinic
The Process of Building an Appeal
Generally, a grant of service connection requires proof of three things:
- A current diagnosis from a medical professional;
- An in-service injury, illness, or event; and
- Evidence that links your current diagnosis to an in-service injury, illness, or event (known as the “nexus”)
Though you may know that your medical condition originated from or was worsened by an event during your military service, this can sometimes be difficult to prove to VA.
Benefit from Experience in Building Appeals
If you think your medical condition was underrated by VA rating specialists, or if VA denied your claim for disability benefits, the knowledgeable and experienced team at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD to help you through the appeals process.
Our team may be able to help you file an appeal for disability benefits, working on your behalf to ensure you get the benefits to which you are entitled. Our veterans’ advocates have many years of experience working with all levels of the VA organizational structure, including:
- VA Regional Offices
- Board of Veterans’ Appeals
- Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Understanding Presumption of Service Connection
Over the years, VA has come to recognize specific conditions and illnesses as being directly connected to certain military events. Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam between 1962 and 1975, for example, are presumed to have suffered a range of conditions due to exposure to Agent Orange.
With this knowledge, VA now grants a presumption of service connection to veterans who fought in and around Vietnam and developed certain conditions as a result. This means they do not have to prove a nexus for certain conditions that VA knows to have been caused by exposure to Agent Orange.
How VA Determines Ratings and Compensation
When VA grants service connection, they will look at the severity of the veteran’s symptoms and assign a disability rating. This rating determines the amount of monthly compensation a veteran will receive from VA. Typically, the higher the rating, the higher the amount of monthly compensation.
Importantly, if you have at least a 30 percent rating and have dependent children, parents, or a spouse you may be eligible for additional compensation.
Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD has the Experience to Help
The team at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD understands the frustration a veteran may feel if VA denies their application for disability benefits. It is important for veterans to know that they have the right to legal representation.
Call Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD at 800-544-9144 for a free consultation to see if we can assist you in building a strong case for appeal.