Most ERISA LTD group policies actually require that you apply for SSDI benefits. If you win your SSDI claim, the insurer will likely reduce the amount of benefits that it pays to you. Though it is not fair, generally, insurers are allowed to do this.
Be aware of potential double offsets. Sometimes, individuals are covered under two or more LTD policies. If both provided for an offset of SSDI benefits, that can result in a double offset and you receiving less disability income than planned.
For example, if you had two LTD policies that each paid $2,000 per month, you would expect $4,000 of monthly disability income. If each policy provides for an SSDI offset, and your SSDI benefit was $1,000 per month, courts have ruled that the insurer may take an SSDI offset from both policies, thus, the insured is left with $3,000 in monthly disability income–$1,000 from each LTD policy, and $1,000 from SSDI.« Return to the ERISA & Insurance Litigation Resource Center
- How Will I Pay for My ERISA Disability Lawyer?
- What Is Disability Insurance?
- Why do insurers deny long-term disability claims?
- What Is ERISA and How Does It Impact Your Disability Insurance Claim?
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »