Most disability insurance will exclude or limit coverage for certain conditions. The applicability and impact of a limitation on your claim requires careful analysis of the policy language, facts of your case, and the applicable law. Still, the following information may help you identify whether you have a potential coverage limitation issue.
Pre-existing condition limitation
A pre-existing condition limitation can exclude coverage for disabilities caused by conditions that you had, or for which you received treatment, before you were covered under the policy.
Mental Illness limitation
Commonly, benefits for mental illness such as depression or anxiety are limited to 12 or 24 months. Mental illness limitations can vary greatly. Your claim may be wrongly denied or limited if you are disabled from a physical illness, but also suffer from mental illness. If you are disabled from physical illness and also suffer from mental illness, you should consult with an experienced ERISA attorney as soon as possible.
Appropriate care and treatment
Most policies will not pay benefits unless you are receiving appropriate care and treatment for your disabling condition(s). While that usually does not mean that you must engage in all possible therapies, yYou and your care providers should agree on a course of therapy and stick to it unless it is appropriate to modify it. Failure to do so can result in a benefit denial or termination.« Return to the ERISA & Insurance Litigation Resource Center
- Do You Need to Be Concerned About Disability Claim Deadlines?
- Why do insurers deny long-term disability claims?
- How Do You Learn More About Your Disability Insurance Coverage?
- What Are Some Common Disability Coverage Limitations?
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »