Understanding Which Benefit Plans Are Subject To ERISA
The question of whether employment benefits are subject to ERISA can be complicated and is regularly the subject of court litigation. Here are some general principals. The Employee Retirement Income Security Act (“ERISA”) covers most employer provided pension and health and welfare benefit plans such as:
- Long-term disability
- Short-term disability
- Life insurance
- Health insurance
- Long-term health care policies
ERISA typically does not apply to government or church sponsored plans.
If your benefits are covered by ERISA, there are rules such as information disclosure requirements and deadlines that you and your employer must follow. Your failure to follow these rules may result in the denial of your benefits. If your employer or the insurance company it contracted with to provide you benefits fails to follow the rules, you may have the right to appeal or to sue your employer in court.
If your benefits have been wrongfully denied, contact Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. We will work diligently to see that clients receive the benefits they are owed.
Call us now at 401-331-6300 or contact us online.
- Meet Ally Niven, 2018 Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick Child of an American Veteran Scholarship Winner
- Anna Durham wins the Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick Child of a Disabled Veteran Scholarship
- Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick (CCK) Celebrates 20 Years
- CCK Partner Robert Chisholm Participates as Judge in Moot Court Competition
- Meet Ian Hutter, 2019 Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick Law School Scholarship for Veterans Recipient
Share this Post