What A 70% PTSD Disability Rating Means
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition that can occur in people who have experienced or witnessed a distressing, shocking, or otherwise traumatic event. Unfortunately, many veterans experience PTSD stemming from their military service. Once you are service-connected for PTSD, VA will assign a disability rating. In doing so, VA will consider the frequency, duration, and severity of your symptoms along with the resulting level of social and occupational impairment.
Per VA’s rating criteria, a 70% PTSD rating reflects that you display impairment in most areas such as, work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, and mood. 70% PTSD rating lists several symptoms that affect occupational and social function. They include depression that interferes with daily functions, suicidal ideation, obsessive rituals interfering with daily activities, impulse control problems, spatial disorientation, neglect of personal appearance or hygiene, and difficulty establishing and maintaining relationships. It is important to note that this list is not exhaustive, and you do not need to experience all these symptoms to qualify for a 70% rating.
If you have a 70% PTSD rating, you might qualify for TDIU which allows you to collect compensation benefits at the 100% rate even if your combined rating is below 100%.
- Board Lacks Adequate Reasons and Bases in Denying SMC A&A Based on PTSD Alone
- Veteran PTSD Statistics
- How to Prove PTSD to VA
- VA Disability Rating Reexaminations and Reevaluations
- Can the VA Reduce My PTSD Rating?
- Do I Qualify for TDIU if I Can’t Maintain Employment?
- Do I Qualify for Total Disability Based on Individual Unemployment?
- What Are Symptoms of Exposure to Military Burn Pits?
- Can a Veteran Receive Both VA and Social Security Benefits?
- Is My VA Disability Rating Permanent?
- Compensation and Pension (C&P) Exams for PTSD – Video
- Post 9/11 PTSD Claims
- VA General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders EXPLAINED
- VA Rating Reductions
- VA Disability Rating Reevaluations
Share this Post