If you are an Illinois resident who developed a disabling medical condition as a result of an injury, illness, or event that occurred during active duty military service, you might be entitled to disability benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. You can receive VA disability benefits whether you are partially or fully disabled.
Unfortunately, obtaining these benefits is difficult and denials occur all too often. The team of veterans advocates at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD focuses on VA disability law, helping veterans such as yourself appeal these denials and receive the benefits you deserve. A veteran (VA) disability lawyer serving Illinois can help you navigate the challenges — of which there can be many — of proving your case to the VA and getting your deserved benefits. Our track record is long and successful. Let us use it to help your case.
For a free consultation, call 800-544-9144 today.
Illinois VA Benefit Resources
Illinois has one VA Regional Benefit Office, located in Chicago. If you need medical care, however, you have many options throughout the state.
Illinois VA Regional Benefit Office
- Chicago: Chicago Regional Benefit Office
Illinois VA Medical Centers
- Chicago: Jesse Brown VA Medical Center
- Danville: VA Illiana Health Care System
- Hines: Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital
- Marion: Marion VA Medical Center
- North Chicago: Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center
Illinois VA Statistics
As of 2016, Illinois’s veteran population totals nearly 647,000, making up 6.8 percent of the state’s residents. Currently, more than 95,000 veterans in Illinois receive VA disability benefits, and over 276,000 Illinois veterans are enrolled in the VA healthcare system. Nearly 180,000 of the veterans in Illinois who are signed up with the VA healthcare system have received treatment at a VA facility.
Over half of Illinois’s veterans (50.4 percent) are at least 65 years old. Nearly six percent are military retirees, servicemembers who put in enough years to retire from the military with full benefits.
How to Win an Appeal for VA Disability Benefits in Illinois
We know a denial can feel like the end of the road, but it does not have to be. The legal team at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick can help you win the VA disability benefits you deserve.
For your appeal to be successful, we must demonstrate three things to the VA:
- An event, injury, or illness occurred during military service;
- That you have a current diagnosis of a medical condition considered disabling by the VA; and
- That the specific event, illness, or injury in your military service caused or contributed to your condition.
In certain situations, the VA automatically assumes that your condition is linked to your military service. This is called presumptive service connection, and you can receive a grant under this provision if you served in a certain capacity and later developed health problems. For instance, Vietnam veterans qualify for presumptive service connections for a host of conditions due to exposure to Agent Orange during the war.
If the VA does not presume service connection, we can gather evidence to link your condition to your military service. For instance, if you developed a disabling back condition during or after your military service, we might be able to establish a cause-and-effect relationship with a training exercise or combat injury.
Your service record, medical history, lab tests, doctor statements, expert witness testimony, and other evidence can help us prove to the VA that your medical condition arose due to a specific event in your military service.
VA Disability Compensation Levels
The amount of compensation you will receive in veteran disability benefits depends on your combined disability rating.
You will receive a rating from 0 to 100 percent (in 10 percent increments), a 0 percent rating resulting in no monthly compensation but possible ancillary benefits (e.g., health care), and a 100 percent combined rating resulting in the highest monthly benefit.
As of December 31, 2018, based on your combined disability rating, you can expect to receive the following compensation:
- 10 percent disability rating: $140.05 per month
- 20 percent disability rating: $276.84 per month
- 30 percent disability rating: $428.83 per month
- 40 percent disability rating: $617.73 per month
- 50 percent disability rating: $879.36 per month
- 60 percent disability rating: $1,113.86 per month
- 70 percent disability rating: $1,403.71 per month
- 80 percent disability rating: $1,631.69 per month
- 90 percent disability rating: $1,833.62 per month
- 100 percent disability rating: $3,057.13 per month
A combined 30 percent rating or higher also qualifies you for additional compensation if you have dependents (e.g., spouse, dependent children, dependent parents) living in your household.
Call 800-544-9144 for a Free Consultation
The legal team at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD can help you build a successful claim for VA disability benefits. For a free consultation, call us today at 800-544-9144.
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »