Long-Term Disability Lawyer Serving New Canaan, CT
A debilitating medical condition or injury can make it difficult to work. Some people may even find it impossible. In such situations, it may be necessary to file for long-term disability (LTD) benefits. These benefits exist to help protect your income when you cannot work due to a disability but obtaining them can be a daunting task.
While such claims can be complex, it is not something you must do on your own. A long-term disability lawyer serving New Canaan, CT from Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick is ready to assist you wherever you are in the process. Call us today at 800-544-9144 for a free consultation.
How Does Contacting an LTD Lawyer Benefit My Claim?
The disability rate in New Canaan, CT between 2016 and 2020 was 5.5 percent. As such, it may be necessary to file for long-term disability benefits. Some claimants may decide to handle these claims on their own. Likewise, some claimants may also handle their appeal on their own, but this can become overwhelming. Instead, it is beneficial to contact an LTD lawyer to help assist.
Our team understands the arduous nature of this process and how it can make managing your condition difficult. We believe you should be focusing on your well-being and not stressing about your benefits. We can alleviate that stress. We can review your long-term disability policy and help you understand the vital information contained within it.
Moreover, we can track all important deadlines; determine and collect the best evidence to support your claim; handle all correspondence with your insurer and your doctors; handle your appeal (if necessary); represent you during litigation; and more. In short, we can help you no matter where in the process you are.
Additionally, if you have a long-term disability policy through your employer, then you must be aware of ERISA law. This is a federal law that governs group policies and has its own strict regulations and deadlines. For example, under ERISA, the administrative appeal stage is the last time you may submit new or updated evidence. We are well-versed in ERISA and can help you be compliant with its regulations.
CCK Can Gather the Best Evidence to Bolster Your LTD Claim
Medical records are often your primary source of evidence. You must submit evidence to prove your claim to your insurer. CCK can help determine what evidence you must gather, and we can submit it on your behalf. Some claims will only need medical records while others must submit supplemental evidence. However, if you suffer from a chronic condition like Crohn’s disease, you will likely need to prove you have such a condition to specifically receive benefits for Crohn’s disease. Supplemental evidence we can gather to bolster your claim includes:
- Specialized reports from your treating physicians: Medical records often do not tell the entire story about your condition. A specialized report from your treating physicians can highlight certain aspects of your condition and show how it debilitates you. If you suffer from a severe health condition, like kidney disease, you should have a doctor closely monitor your health. Thus, maintaining an open line of communication with your doctor is crucial so that they fully understand how your condition affects you. The reports they issue can increase your chances of receiving benefits for kidney disease.
- Witness reports from close acquaintances: Other people often see how your condition affects you. For example, family and friends see how your sleep apnea impairs you in your private life and coworkers how it affects your work. Thus, obtaining witness statements can be valuable to your claim for benefits for sleep apnea.
- Evaluations from outside experts: CCK works with several outside experts who can provide objective evidence to reinforce your claim. They can provide functional capacity tests; neuropsychological assessments; and vocational evaluations. Certain health conditions, like insomnia, can be more difficult to prove to an insurance company. Medical experts can document your sleep disorder and how it affects your ability to work, which can increase your chance of securing maximum benefits for insomnia.
CCK Can Ease the Burden of Dealing with the Insurance Company
While insurance companies should handle every case fairly, this is not always the reality. Instead, they often prioritize their financial needs, which can result in a denial of an LTD claim or a wrongful termination of benefits. Moreover, dealing with the insurance company is often burdensome. You may feel overwhelmed by the insurance company and struggle to simultaneously manage your condition.
Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick can ease the burden of dealing with the insurance company. Our team can act as a point of contact between you and your insurer. Any correspondence will pass through us first, which helps to free up your time to focus on your well-being.
Insurance agents prioritize company interests over their clients’ well-being. They use a wide range of strategies to pay as few benefits as possible. It is crucial to read your policy carefully to protect your rights. Specifically, look for the section about long-term disability offsets. Many policies have provisions like this that allow the company to deduct a sum from your total benefits.
If your insurance company issues your claim a denial, you have the right to appeal. A long-term disability insurance attorney from CCK can help you with your appeal, too. We will evaluate your denial letter; address any specific issues contained therein; and compile a comprehensive appeal package to submit to your insurer.
We have over 30 years of collected experience and understand how insurance companies operate. We work to obtain our clients the benefits that they need. We can help at any point during the LTD process.
Contact CCK Today for a Free Consultation
If you are suffering from a medical condition that is preventing you from working, you must consider filing for long-term disability benefits. Moreover, if your insurer issues your claim a denial or wrongfully terminated your benefits, consulting an experienced long-term disability attorney is vital. CCK is prepared to help.
Contact CCK today at 800-544-9144 for a free consultation concerning your claim. We will evaluate your case and see if we can help.
New Canaan Blog Posts
- Long-Term Disability (LTD) Claims for Anesthesiologists
When a medical professional, such as an anesthesiologist, develops a condition that impairs their ability to work, it can be overwhelming. When they cannot adequately perform their duties, their patients suffer. If you find yourself unable to work, you may want to consider filing for LTD benefits. This article will address some of the questions […]
- Surveillance Tactics in Long-Term Disability Claims
If you have filed for long-term disability (LTD) insurance due to a disabling medical condition, you may discover that approval of your claim rests on more than a submittal of documents. Often, insurance companies will enact surveillance tactics to ensure the validity of your claim. Yes, that means, in short, that insurance companies may spy […]
- Effective Communication and Long-Term Disability Claims
Long-term disability insurance can be purchased by individuals or can be received through your employer. If you lose income due to a covered disability, long-term disability insurance will replace all or some of your income and may provide other benefits. In order to receive these benefits, you must file a claim with your insurer. This […]