A car accident can be one of the most stressful situations you will ever face. There is the potential for serious bodily injury and financial loss. If your injuries are severe, you might miss weeks or months of work. You might even permanently lose the ability to work due to a long-term disability. If you cannot work, you miss out on paychecks, making your medical bills and regular bills harder to pay.
On top of that, you will probably have to fight with the insurance company to get the compensation you need.
We believe you should be focusing on recovering from your injuries and getting your life back, not on paperwork and battling the insurance company for money you deserve. A car accident lawyer serving West Warwick, RI can help you recover compensation and handle other accident-related tasks so you can focus on getting better.
For a free consultation today, call 401-331-6300.
Our Attorneys Help Car Accident Victims in Several Ways
Car accident victims face a host of challenges in the weeks and months that follow. No matter what specific worries you have, our team of professionals is here to help.
To recover compensation for your accident-related losses, we must prove the other driver’s negligent behavior caused or contributed to the accident. Proving negligence involves establishing the following four elements:
- Duty: The other party must have owed you some type of duty. Drivers owe all other road users the duty to drive safely, so this one is straightforward.
- Breach: The driver failed to uphold this duty, either through breaking a law or otherwise acting without due care. Examples of a breach of duty might include running a red light, texting and driving, failing to check blind spots, speeding, failure to yield, etc.
- Causation: The breach must have caused the accident and injury. For example, a driver failed to yield to you before making a left turn. While proceeding straight through the intersection, you T-boned the other driver, suffering a traumatic brain injury (TBI).
- Damages: You suffered physical, emotional, or financial damages.
Even if we are able to establish the elements above, the other driver’s insurer might try to claim you contributed to the accident. If they succeed, you will still be entitled to compensation. However, your percentage of fault may decrease your available compensation.
Consider the following: You slowed down to avoid debris in the roadway and got rear-ended, a type of crash typically thought to be the rear driver’s fault. Due to faulty brake lights, though, you get assigned 10 percent of the blame. Your damages total $50,000. Since 10 percent of $50,000 is $5,000, you would be eligible to recover $45,000 from the other driver’s insurer.
Insurance Company Negotiations
Many insurance companies operate for profit. The more they pay in claims, the more it cuts into their profit. So, their goal is to pay less — or nothing at all — whenever possible. This often means playing hardball with vulnerable accident victims.
A common insurance company tactic is to reach out to an accident victim as quickly as possible after a crash. The insurance adjuster sounds very helpful on the phone, stressing the insurance company’s desire to get a check in the mail fast. It sounds great, especially if you are anticipating big medical bills.
But there is a reason the insurance company wants to pay you fast. It is so you accept the offer they put in front of you without talking to a lawyer first. The offer might be much less than you could get if you were represented by a lawyer. We help you determine what you can recover and fight to maximize all available compensation.
You Could Be Eligible for Several Types of Damages
The car accident lawyers at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD serve the West Warwick area and all of Rhode Island and have helped many car accident victims win robust settlements. Among the damages included in many car accident settlements we have won for our clients are:
- Current and anticipated future medical costs;
- Physical therapy, rehabilitation, and prescription drugs;
- Lost wages and reduced earning capacity;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional anguish;
- Loss of consortium.
Talk to us before speaking with the insurance company. We can handle the negotiation process on your behalf.
Call 401-331-6300 Today for a Free Consultation
The personal injury team at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD wants to make you our next satisfied client in Rhode Island. We can help you prove liability, determine the value of your case, and negotiate with insurers to get what you deserve. If the insurer refuses to offer you a fair settlement, we are not afraid to take it to court. Call 401-331-6300 today for a free consultation.
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »