Medical bills can be a major source of stress after you are injured in a car accident. An experienced car accident lawyer can help you make sense of things, and work to get the insurance company to pay for your medical bills. Depending on your situation, there may be different sources of coverage available to pay for your medical care after a car accident.
Here are some examples:
Auto insurance med-pay benefits: Your own car insurance policy may provide med-pay benefits. These benefits cover your accident-related medical bills up to the policy limit, which is often low, around $5,000. It also may cover members of your household who were injured by a car accident. Medical expenses may even be paid if you were the cause of the accident. If your lawyer recovers money for these expenses from a person who injured you, you may have to reimburse your insurance company up to the amount of any medical benefits paid.
Health insurance: Most health insurance will pay for your car accident injury treatment under the terms of your health insurance policy. However, if you recover money from the person who injured you, your health insurer will want to be reimbursed for any payments that it made for accident-related care. Depending on the terms of your health insurance plan, your lawyer may be able to negotiate a reduction of this lien. Negotiating reductions of health insurance liens can be tricky. You want to make sure that you have a car accident lawyer who is also experienced handling claims and litigating appeals against health insurance plans that are governed by the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). ERISA is a federal law that governs most employer-provided health insurance plans. Fortunately, Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick has significant knowledge and experience handling car accident claims and ERISA health insurance claims, as well as litigation in state and federal court. Contact CCK now to learn more about our experience and how we can help you.
Medicare: If you are on Medicare prior to a car accident, Medicare will pay for your car accident injury treatment much like private health insurance. However, there are special rules that must be followed to make sure that Medicare’s interests are considered in any settlement. If you receive Social Security Disability Insurance benefits, you may need to consider Medicare’s interests even if you have not received Medicare benefits. An experienced car accident lawyer should be able to identify potential Medicare issues and give you guidance on how to honor your obligations.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, contact Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick as soon as possible. There is no charge to speak with us to see how we can help. Contact us now for a FREE consultation. We will assess your situation and determine if we can help you. We represent clients on a contingency basis, which means that clients do not pay us any money up front. Clients pay us a percentage of the money that we recover for them.
- How much does it cost to hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
- What to do after a car accident?
- Should I Give a Recorded Statement About My Car Accident if Requested by a Claims Adjuster?
- Do I need a Car Accident Lawyer?
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »