If you are injured in a car accident, a lawyer probably may not be your first call, but should not be far behind. In Rhode Island and Massachusetts, there is no requirement that you hire a lawyer to file your car accident claim with the insurance company. However, an experienced lawyer can help you get the most money for your personal injuries, help you avoid serious mistakes, and take the burden of proving your claim off of you while you heal and get on with your life. Ultimately, you need to decide whether hiring an attorney is the right decision for you. Here are some things to consider. This is not intended to be an exhaustive discussion of all factors.
Why should I hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
The phrase “peace of mind” means different things depending on your concerns. There are at least 4 reasons why you should consider hiring an experienced car accident attorney, and why doing so should bring you peace of mind.
- A lawyer can help you identify available insurance coverage: You do not want to lose the opportunity to make a claim because you did not know where to find the insurance to pay for your damages. After you are injured in a car crash, it might seem obvious that you need to file a claim with the insurance company covering the person who hit you. It also seems reasonable that the insurance company should pay you for all of your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. However, the person who hit you may not have enough automobile liability insurance to cover your damages, or worse, may have no insurance at all. If this is the case, you may need to make a claim against your own insurance company for uninsured / underinsured motorist benefits. There can be special rules that must be followed when dealing with uninsured / underinsured motorist insurance. An experienced car accident lawyer will know how to handle your claim. There can be other sources of insurance depending on the circumstances. Determining the available insurance coverage involves an investigation into the specific facts of your case. An experienced car accident lawyer should be able to investigate all potential coverage.
- Let your lawyer do the work while you get on with your life: You have a busy life. It has already been disrupted by the car accident. Hiring a car accident attorney should reduce the burden on you going forward. Your lawyer should handle most, if not all, oral and written communications with the insurance company regarding your personal injury claim. Your lawyer should also gather the evidence needed to make your claim, and facilitate your doctors providing information in support of your claim. An experienced personal injury lawyer should be able to explain and prove your injuries to the insurance company in a clear and compelling manner. Without a lawyer, this work would require your time and effort, which is better spent resting, healing, and resuming your normal life activities. Leave your claim to an expert.
- Don’t leave money on the table: The fact that you are hurt, that the other person was at fault, that you missed work, or that you incurred medical bills may not be enough to get the insurance company to pay you. Sometimes there are coverage or liability issues that must be proven in addition to the amount of damages. The insurance adjuster’s goal is to pay you as little as possible. They spend every day handling insurance claims. A lawyer can even the playing field for you. Thoughtful preparation of your claim is needed to maximize recovery for your personal injuries. A lawyer should be able to explain your injuries and how they impact your life to the insurance company in a compelling way, with supporting evidence.
- Be ready for court: Most, but not all, car accident personal injury claims settle before trial. However, one way that a lawyer can maximize your claim value and avoid trial is by supporting the insurance claim with evidence that would be needed for trial. The added benefit is that if the insurance company does not offer a reasonable settlement, your lawyer will have much of what is needed to file the lawsuit and proceed to trial. By working with a lawyer, and not pursuing your claim yourself, your lawyer will know your case and you will not have to start from scratch by finding a lawyer if negotiations with the insurance company fail.
Contact CCK for a FREE consultation
The experienced personal injury lawyers of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick have years of experience helping car accident victims recover money for their injuries. Located in Providence, Rhode Island, CCK has a nationwide practice fighting for the rights of the injured and disabled. Whether representing seriously injured accident victims, or loved ones in wrongful death claims, our dedicated team delivers a high level of personalized service.
It will not cost you anything to contact Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick to see if we can help you. We represent car accident clients on a contingency basis, which means they do not need to pay us any money out-of-pocket. Call or email us now to learn how we can help you.« Return to the Car Accident Resource Center
- When should I make a claim for my car accident injuries?
- How do I pay for medical bills after a car accident?
- The insurance company is calling me and sending me letters, should I speak with them?
- How much does it cost to hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »