Compensable Disabilities Definition
Compensable disabilities are those conditions that manifest to at least a certain degree of severity for which the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will award monthly disability benefits if service connected.
VA’s Compensable Disabilities
VA maintains a list of compensable disabilities on its website. These conditions include:
- Those affecting the musculoskeletal system, special sense organs, auditory acuity, the respiratory system, the cardiovascular system, the digestive system, the skin, the genitourinary system, the endocrine system, and the hemic and lymphatic systems
- Infectious diseases, immune disorders, nutritional deficiencies
- Dental and oral conditions
- Mental disorders
- Neurological conditions, convulsive disorders
- Gynecological conditions, disorders of the breast
To be eligible for service-connected compensation, you must have a current, diagnosed condition that is the result of an in-service event, injury, or illness. You must be able to establish a nexus between your condition and the event that occurred during service.
The Compensation You Receive Depends on Your Disability Rating
VA issues a disability rating based on the severity of your symptoms. Schedular ratings range between 0 and 100 percent. As of January 2019, monthly schedular compensation amounts for combined disability ratings are as follows:
- 0 percent disability rating: $0 per month
- 10 percent disability rating: $140.05 per month
- 20 percent disability rating: $276.84 per month
- 30 percent disability rating: $428.83 per month
- 40 percent disability rating: $617.73 per month
- 50 percent disability rating: $879.36 per month
- 60 percent disability rating: $1,113.86 per month
- 70 percent disability rating: $1,403.71 per month
- 80 percent disability rating: $1,631.69 per month
- 90 percent disability rating: $1,833.62 per month
- 100 percent disability rating: $3,057.13 per month
If you have a rating of 30 percent or higher, you may be able to receive additional monthly compensation for eligible dependents including: a spouse, minor children, children 18-23 years old and still in school, or dependent parents.
Call Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD for a Free Case Evaluation
The team at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD may be able to help you receive the VA disability compensation to which you are rightfully entitled.
Call today for a free case evaluation with a member of our team: 800-544-9144.