Analogous Rating Definition
VA uses the VA Schedule for Rating Disabilities (VASRD) to assign diagnostic codes and disability ratings to veterans’ service-connected conditions. A diagnostic code is simply the numerical code assigned to a specific disability or condition that VA uses to identify and rate a veteran’s disability. However, not all disabilities have their own diagnostic code in the VASRD. Those that do not have their own diagnostic code are given analogous ratings.
As indicated above, analogous ratings are given to conditions that are not explicitly included in the VASRD. Analogous ratings are assigned based on what condition most closely matches the overall symptoms or treatment of the disability that VA is trying to rate. Under 38 CFR § 4.20, VA can look at “not only the functions affected” when assigning an analogous rating, but also “the anatomical localization and symptomatology” to ensure they “are closely analogous.” Additionally, when assigning an analogous rating, VA must apply the rating criteria that is most favorable to the veteran, usually that which results in a higher disability rating for the veteran’s condition.
Analogous ratings are assigned in the decision in which VA grants service connection for a veteran’s condition. Typically, VA will explain in the decision that the disability is being rated analogous to another diagnostic code.
- VA Disability Ratings for Pancreatic Cancer
- VA Disability Ratings for Bipolar Disorder
- How to Get a 100% Disability Rating for PTSD
- VA Disability Benefits for Carpal Tunnel
- How Much Can a VA Disability Lawyer or Agent Charge?
- What Can I Do to Make the VA Disability Process Go Faster?
- How Can I Receive VA Disability Benefits After Burn Pit Exposure?
- How Many Options Are There to Appeal a Disability Claims Decision in RAMP?
- I Am a Disabled Veteran; Am I Eligible for Disability Benefits?
- Can VA Take Away Your Disability Rating?
- VA Math & Disability Ratings
- Using the VA Combined Ratings Table
- Top 5 VA Errors on Veterans’ Disability Claims
- VA Disability Ratings for Sleep Disorders
- VA Disability for Neck Pain
- Service-Connected Disability Definition
- Extraschedular VA Ratings Definition
- Staged Ratings Definition
Share this Post