Analogous Rating Definition
VA uses the VA Schedule for Rating Disabilities (VASRD) to assign diagnostic codes and disability ratings to veterans’ service-connected conditions. A diagnostic code is simply the numerical code assigned to a specific disability or condition that VA uses to identify and rate a veteran’s disability. However, not all disabilities have their own diagnostic code in the VASRD. Those that do not have their own diagnostic code are given analogous ratings.
As indicated above, analogous ratings are given to conditions that are not explicitly included in the VASRD. Analogous ratings are assigned based on what condition most closely matches the overall symptoms or treatment of the disability that VA is trying to rate. Under 38 CFR § 4.20, VA can look at “not only the functions affected” when assigning an analogous rating, but also “the anatomical localization and symptomatology” to ensure they “are closely analogous.” Additionally, when assigning an analogous rating, VA must apply the rating criteria that is most favorable to the veteran, usually that which results in a higher disability rating for the veteran’s condition.
Analogous ratings are assigned in the decision in which VA grants service connection for a veteran’s condition. Typically, VA will explain in the decision that the disability is being rated analogous to another diagnostic code.
- VA Disability Benefits for Renal (Kidney) Cancer
- VA Disability Ratings for Depression
- Gastrointestinal Diseases and VA Disability Compensation
- 50% VA Disability Rating for Migraine Headaches
- VA Disability Ratings for COPD
- Do I Qualify for Total Disability Based on Individual Unemployment?
- How Many Options Are There to Appeal a Disability Claims Decision in RAMP?
- Does RAMP Change the Process for Filing an Initial Disability Claim With VA?
- Who Is Eligible for VA Service-Connected Disability Compensation?
- Can VA Take Away Your Disability Rating?
- VA Disability for Chronic Pain
- VA Disability Benefits for Depression
- Burn Pits and VA Disability Benefits
- VA Disability Benefits for Respiratory Conditions
- VA General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders EXPLAINED
- Extraschedular VA Ratings Definition
- Service-Connected Disability Definition
- Staged Ratings Definition
Share this Post