Analogous Rating Definition
VA uses the VA Schedule for Rating Disabilities (VASRD) to assign diagnostic codes and disability ratings to veterans’ service-connected conditions. A diagnostic code is simply the numerical code assigned to a specific disability or condition that VA uses to identify and rate a veteran’s disability. However, not all disabilities have their own diagnostic code in the VASRD. Those that do not have their own diagnostic code are given analogous ratings.
As indicated above, analogous ratings are given to conditions that are not explicitly included in the VASRD. Analogous ratings are assigned based on what condition most closely matches the overall symptoms or treatment of the disability that VA is trying to rate. Under 38 CFR § 4.20, VA can look at “not only the functions affected” when assigning an analogous rating, but also “the anatomical localization and symptomatology” to ensure they “are closely analogous.” Additionally, when assigning an analogous rating, VA must apply the rating criteria that is most favorable to the veteran, usually that which results in a higher disability rating for the veteran’s condition.
Analogous ratings are assigned in the decision in which VA grants service connection for a veteran’s condition. Typically, VA will explain in the decision that the disability is being rated analogous to another diagnostic code.
- VA Disability Benefits for Hernia
- VA Disability Benefits for Female Sexual Arousal Disorder (FSAD)
- How Does VA Disability Back Pay Work?
- Radiculopathy and VA Disability Benefits
- 2020 VA Disability Payment Schedule
- Can You Receive VA Disability Benefits for Life?
- Do I Qualify for Total Disability Based on Individual Unemployment?
- How Exactly Does RAMP Work for Veterans’ Disability Appeals?
- I Am a Disabled Veteran; Am I Eligible for Disability Benefits?
- Does RAMP Change the Process for Filing an Initial Disability Claim With VA?
- VA Disability Benefits for Depression
- Applying for VA Disability Benefits
- VA Disability Benefits for Diabetes
- VA General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders EXPLAINED
- VA Disability For Depression & Anxiety
Share this Post