Analogous Rating Definition
VA uses the VA Schedule for Rating Disabilities (VASRD) to assign diagnostic codes and disability ratings to veterans’ service-connected conditions. A diagnostic code is simply the numerical code assigned to a specific disability or condition that VA uses to identify and rate a veteran’s disability. However, not all disabilities have their own diagnostic code in the VASRD. Those that do not have their own diagnostic code are given analogous ratings.
As indicated above, analogous ratings are given to conditions that are not explicitly included in the VASRD. Analogous ratings are assigned based on what condition most closely matches the overall symptoms or treatment of the disability that VA is trying to rate. Under 38 CFR § 4.20, VA can look at “not only the functions affected” when assigning an analogous rating, but also “the anatomical localization and symptomatology” to ensure they “are closely analogous.” Additionally, when assigning an analogous rating, VA must apply the rating criteria that is most favorable to the veteran, usually that which results in a higher disability rating for the veteran’s condition.
Analogous ratings are assigned in the decision in which VA grants service connection for a veteran’s condition. Typically, VA will explain in the decision that the disability is being rated analogous to another diagnostic code.
- VA Disability Ratings for Sleep Disturbances
- VA Disability Rating for Spinal Fusion
- VA Disability Benefits for Back Pain
- Understanding The 2019 VA Disability Payment Schedule
- VA Disability Benefits for Stroke
- I Am a Disabled Veteran; Am I Eligible for Disability Benefits?
- Does RAMP Change the Process for Filing an Initial Disability Claim With VA?
- How Can I Receive VA Disability Benefits After Burn Pit Exposure?
- Do I Qualify for Total Disability Based on Individual Unemployment?
- What Are the Current VA Disability Compensation Rates for 2018?
- VA Disability Benefits for Depression
- VA Disability Benefits for Diabetes
- Camp Lejeune Water Contamination & VA Disability Benefits
- VA Math & Disability Ratings
- VA Disability for Chronic Pain
- Staged Ratings Definition
- Extraschedular VA Ratings Definition
- Service-Connected Disability Definition
Share this Post