The Board of Veterans’ Appeals (BVA) is a division of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). It conducts hearings and makes rulings on VA disability appeals. Claimants can appeal their disability cases to the BVA after they have received both a rating decision that denies their claim in whole or in part.initial
Structure of the BVA
The BVA is made up of judges known as Veterans Law Judges (VLJs). Unlike most government bodies, the BVA does not have a fixed number of members other than its Chairman and Vice Chairman. The Chairman is appointed by the President of the United States.
In addition to the Chairman, Vice Chairman, and body of judges, the BVA employs an administrative team consisting of attorneys and other staff members.
How Does the BVA Review Appeals?
When the BVA receives an appeal, it reviews the initial claim, the medical evidence, and all other supporting documents. The Board then renders a decision to grant benefits, deny benefits, or remand the claim back to the appropriate regional office for further development.
Claimants who have appeals before the Board may request a hearing, either in person or by video conference. They also have the option of attorney representation during their Board hearing, as an attorney may be able to help claimants strengthen their case.
The Board’s Decision on an Appeal Can Be Final
The BVA’s decision on an appeal can become final if claimants do not appeal within the necessary timeframe. Specifically, claimants have 120 days to file an appeal to the next higher court, the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. Claimants can also file a motion for reconsideration with material evidence which the Board may accept during the reconsideration process.
Under the new Appeals Reform system, claimants also have the option of filing a supplemental claim within one year of an unfavorable Board decision.
If You Have Questions About Your VA Disability Appeal, Call the Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD Law Firm for a Free Case Evaluation: 800-544-9144
The veteran lawyers at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD may be able to help you receive the VA disability benefits you deserve. Our attorneys are passionate about helping veterans and we offer a free case evaluation. Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD works on a contingency fee basis, meaning we do not get paid until you receive a grant of benefits. To speak with a member of our team, call us at 800-544-9144.
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »