Veterans (VA) Disability Lawyer Serving Corpus Christi
Veterans who have diagnosed health conditions that prevent them from working or limit their activities may qualify for veterans’ disability benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). If you believe you have a qualifying condition, but VA denied your VA benefits claim, a veteran (VA) disability lawyer serving Corpus Christi, Texas from Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD can review your case for free.
Call us today at (800) 544-9144 to learn more about our services.
Corpus Christi, TX VA Regional Benefit Office
6900 Almeda Road
Houston, TX 77030
Corpus Christi, TX VA Medical Center
5283 Old Brownsville Road
Corpus Christi, TX 78405-3908
205 South Enterprize Parkway
Corpus Christi, TX 78405-4118
Corpus Christi, TX Benefits Centers
Corpus Christi, TX 78411
10651 E Street
Corpus Christi, TX 78419
Corpus Christi, TX VA Statistics
As of 2017, Texas has:
- 6 inpatient care sites
- 2 VBA regional offices
- Over 1,500,000 veterans
- Over 200,000 retired veterans
Almost 8 % of Texas’ adult population are veterans.
Qualifying for VA Disability Compensation Based on Your Service-Connected Medical Condition
When you file for disability benefits through VA, you will need to meet a few eligibility requirements. Generally, an approval, or grant, requires the following:
- An in-service event, injury, or illness
- A current diagnosis by a medical professional
- A medical nexus, or link, between your in-service event, injury, or illness and your current diagnosis
Documented evidence of each of the above is vital to your claim for benefits. Unfortunately, however, obtaining this evidence is not always a straightforward process.
If VA determines you have a service-connected disability, it should then:
- Consider the severity of your condition and how it affects your life
- Issue a rating determination based on this information
- Combine this disability rating with any other service-connected disability ratings you have, in order to get your combined disability rating
- Pay you monthly compensation (monetary benefits) based on your combined disability rating
Understanding the VA Appeal Process in Corpus Christi
VA recently changed the system it uses for filing an appeal if you are unhappy with their decision about your case. This could occur because they denied you benefits, or because you received a low disability rating for your medical condition despite significant impairment.
The new system allows you to choose between three options:
- Supplemental Claim. You can submit additional evidence to support your case, but it has to be new and relevant.
- Higher-Level Review. You can request that a more senior employee takes a fresh look at the evidence already in your file.
- Board of Veterans Appeals, or Notice of Disagreement. You can file an official appeal with the Board of Veterans’ Appeals and request that they review your case—with or without new evidence—in Washington, DC.
You have one year from the date of your notice to appeal a VA disability decision. If you choose one of these options and get denied again, you can choose another without penalty. However, because it takes time to navigate the process and one has to wait to hear back from VA each step of the way, it is a good idea to be strategic about which option you select. Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD can help.
Monthly Benefits for Your Service-Connected Condition
As of December 1st, 2020 the VA disability rate benefit amounts are as follows:
- 0 percent disability rating: $0.00 per month
- 10 percent disability rating: $144.14 per month
- 20 percent disability rating: $284.93 per month
- 30 percent disability rating: $441.35 per month
- 40 percent disability rating: $635.77 per month
- 50 percent disability rating: $905.04 per month
- 60 percent disability rating: $1,146.39 per month
- 70 percent disability rating: $1,444.71 per month
- 80 percent disability rating: $1,679.35 per month
- 90 percent disability rating: $1,887.18 per month
- 100 percent disability rating: $3,146.42 per month
Talk to a Veterans (VA) Disability Lawyer Serving Corpus Christi, Texas
Fighting a denial of VA disability and navigating the appeals process is not something you have to handle on your own. We understand how frustrating it can be to receive a denial when you know you should qualify for benefits. This is why we offer free consultations to determine if we can assist you.
A veteran (VA) disability lawyer serving Corpus Christi, Texas will discuss the facts of your case with you and determine if the Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD team can help. Call us today at (800) 544-9144 to speak to a member of our VA disability team serving Corpus Christi, Texas.