A Guide for Special Monthly Compensation
Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) is a tax-free monthly benefit that can be paid to veterans with serious disabilities or combinations of disabilities. Certain conditions and combinations of conditions can be more disabling than regular VA disability benefit rates account for, therefore, VA pays a larger compensation rate. Essentially, SMC is a higher rate of VA disability compensation paid because of special disability pictures such as the need of aid and attendance by another individual or by specific disability, such as loss of use of a limb.
There are several ways to qualify for Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) and the different types are split into levels based on severity of the condition(s). For example, the Level K provides special monthly compensation (SMC) for veterans who have experienced the loss (amputation) or loss of use of a creative organ; this level of SMC is paid in addition to your regular monthly VA disability benefits per your combined rating. Level R provides SMC for veterans who need aid and attendance daily from another individual. All SMC rates are given instead of the standard VA disability compensation rates, except for Level K, which is given in addition to the standard monthly compensation rate.
- VA Disability Payment Schedule for 2019
- VA Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) Rates for 2021
- Special Monthly Compensation Series: SMC(s)
- VA Disability Rating Reexaminations and Reevaluations
- How to Increase VA Disability Rating for PTSD
- Do I Qualify for Total Disability Based on Individual Unemployment?
- Can VA Take Away Your Disability Rating?
- Getting Veterans (VA) Disability for Toxic Water at Camp Lejeune
- Does RAMP Change the Process for Filing an Initial Disability Claim With VA?
- Is My VA Disability Rating Permanent?
- PTSD Stressors and VA Disability Benefits
- Special Monthly Compensation (SMC)
- Camp Lejeune Water Contamination & VA Disability Benefits
- VA Disability for Arthritis
- Burn Pits and VA Disability Benefits
- Special Monthly Compensation Definition
- Service-Connected Disability Definition
- Dependency and Indemnity Compensation Definition
Share this Post