A Guide for Special Monthly Compensation
Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) is a tax-free monthly benefit that can be paid to veterans with serious disabilities or combinations of disabilities. Certain conditions and combinations of conditions can be more disabling than regular VA disability benefit rates account for, therefore, VA pays a larger compensation rate. Essentially, SMC is a higher rate of VA disability compensation paid because of special disability pictures such as the need of aid and attendance by another individual or by specific disability, such as loss of use of a limb.
There are several ways to qualify for Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) and the different types are split into levels based on severity of the condition(s). For example, the Level K provides special monthly compensation (SMC) for veterans who have experienced the loss (amputation) or loss of use of a creative organ; this level of SMC is paid in addition to your regular monthly VA disability benefits per your combined rating. Level R provides SMC for veterans who need aid and attendance daily from another individual. All SMC rates are given instead of the standard VA disability compensation rates, except for Level K, which is given in addition to the standard monthly compensation rate.
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and VA Disability Compensation
- Schedular vs. Extraschedular VA Disability Rating
- What Conditions Do Not Qualify for VA Disability Benefits?
- VA Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) Rates for 2020
- VA Disability Benefits for Male Infertility
- What is the Amount of Monthly Compensation for a 100 Percent Schedular Rating?
- Do I Qualify for Total Disability Based on Individual Unemployment?
- Is My VA Disability Rating Permanent?
- How Do I Calculate VA Disability Compensation & Benefits?
- Who Is Eligible for VA Service-Connected Disability Compensation?
- VA Disability Benefits for Diabetes
- VA Disability Benefits for Respiratory Conditions
- VA Disability For Knee Conditions And Pain
- VA Disability Ratings for Heart and Cardiovascular Conditions
- VA Disability Ratings for Sleep Disorders
- Dependency and Indemnity Compensation Definition
- Special Monthly Compensation Definition
- Service-Connected Disability Definition
Share this Post