Average VA Appeal Timelines
In a report issued in March of 2017 by the United States Government Accountability Office (GAO), detailed the average wait time starting from when a veteran filed an appeal to when VA issued a decision on that appeal. The infographic takes you what happened at each processing milestone.
Day 1: The Veteran files a claim.
Day 125: VA issues a Rating Decision, and the Veteran files a Notice of Disagreement to appeal.
Day 544: VA issues a Statement of the Case and the Veteran files a Substantive Appeal.
Day 1,081: VA prepares the file for the Board of Veterans’ Appeals.
Day 1,303: The Board places the appeal on the docket.
Day 1,573, The Board reviews the Veteran’s appeal and issues a decision. In general, the total average wait time is 1,573 days from when Veteran files and appeal to when VA issues a decision on that appeal. It is important to note that these wait times are averages, and claimants may experience longer or shorter wait times.
Read the full blog here – How Long VA Appeals Process Can Take – Average Appeal Times for Disability Claims
Share this Graphic
- How to Appeal Your VA Claim
- VA Appeal Deadlines
- What Happens When a VA Appeal is Remanded?
- How Long VA Appeals Process Can Take – Average Appeal Times for Disability Claims
- Should I Appeal a Denied Claim or File a New VA Claim?
- How Many Options Are There to Appeal a Disability Claims Decision in RAMP?
- What is a Decision Review Officer (DRO)?
Share this Post