Generally speaking, a “grant” means that VA is awarding your claim. When the Regional Office grants your decision, it will award retroactive benefits, if applicable. If not, VA will adjust your overall disability rating.
When the Board of Veterans’ Appeals grants a claim, it is sent back to the Regional Office for processing and implementation. For example, the Board may grant service connection for PTSD, but the file is then sent back to the Regional Office to determine the effective date of the PTSD claim as well as the disability rating warranted. In the event of an increased rating claim, however, the Board will often assign the veteran a specific rating and instruct the Regional Office to determine the proper effective date. Veterans do not immediately receive their retroactive benefits following a grant from the Board. Rather, these benefits are paid following the issuance of a Rating Decision from the Regional Office. VA is not required to issue a decision within a certain time limit in awarding retroactive benefits and wait times can vary depending on the complexity of the veteran’s case. Keep in mind that the period during which you are awaiting your grant of benefits will be included in your retroactive award.
- VA Benefits Immediately After Military Discharge
- 70% Disability Rating for PTSD
- VA Benefits for Exposure to Jet Fuel
- How to Increase VA Disability Rating from 70% to 100%
- The Board erred when it denied the Veteran Unemployability benefits
- Does RAMP Change the Process for Filing an Initial Disability Claim With VA?
- As a Veteran, How Much Will My Appeal of a Board Denial to the Court Cost?
- What Should You Include in Your Claim for TDIU?
- Is Having Your TDIU Claim Deferred Bad News?
- Are Veterans Disability Benefits Taxable?
- Additional Benefits For 100% Disabled Veterans – Video
- VA Rating Reductions
- VA Benefits for Spouses of Disabled Veterans – Video
- VA Disability Benefits for Diabetes
- Top 8 Disability Claim & Appeal Tips
- Supplemental Claim Lane
- VA Retroactive Benefits Definition
- Regional Office Definition
- Analogous Rating Definition
Share this Post