Generally speaking, a “grant” means that VA is awarding your claim. When the Regional Office grants your decision, it will award retroactive benefits, if applicable. If not, VA will adjust your overall disability rating.
When the Board of Veterans’ Appeals grants a claim, it is sent back to the Regional Office for processing and implementation. For example, the Board may grant service connection for PTSD, but the file is then sent back to the Regional Office to determine the effective date of the PTSD claim as well as the disability rating warranted. In the event of an increased rating claim, however, the Board will often assign the veteran a specific rating and instruct the Regional Office to determine the proper effective date. Veterans do not immediately receive their retroactive benefits following a grant from the Board. Rather, these benefits are paid following the issuance of a Rating Decision from the Regional Office. VA is not required to issue a decision within a certain time limit in awarding retroactive benefits and wait times can vary depending on the complexity of the veteran’s case. Keep in mind that the period during which you are awaiting your grant of benefits will be included in your retroactive award.
- Federal Circuit Court Rules Veterans Can Get Disability Benefits for Pain
- Burial Benefits for Veterans and Eligibility
- VA Disability Benefits for Stroke
- VA Disability Benefits for Insomnia
- List of Benefits for All Disabled Veterans: What Do You Qualify For?
- What Is the Difference Between the Higher-Level Review Lane and the Supplemental Claim Lane?
- How Can I Receive VA Disability Benefits After Burn Pit Exposure?
- Can I Lose My VA Benefits If I Don’t Attend My C&P Exam?
- Are There Retroactive Awards for Veterans Disability Claims?
- I Received an Unfavorable Board Decision; What Should I Do?
- VA Rating Reductions
- VA Disability Benefits for Depression
- VA Disability Benefits for Respiratory Conditions
- VA Disability Benefits for Anxiety
- VA Benefits for Dependents
- Analogous Rating Definition
- VA Retroactive Benefits Definition
- Supplemental Claim Lane
- Regional Office Definition
- Episode 32: VA Rating Reevaluations and Reexaminations
- Episode 22: VA Benefits for Spouses of Disabled Veterans
- Episode 31: VA Disability Benefits & Diabetes
- Episode 9: Court Rules VA Must Pay Retroactive Benefits to Blue Water Navy Veterans
- Episode 5: Board of Veterans’ Appeals Issues 100k Decisions in FY20
Share this Post