Compensation and Pension (C&P) Examination Definition
A Compensation and Pension (C&P) exam, is a medical examination of a veteran’s disability, performed by a VA healthcare provider, or a VA contracted provider. VA uses C&P exams to gather more evidence on a veteran’s claimed condition before issuing a decision and assigning a rating. Most commonly, C&P exams are used to (1) confirm or deny service connection, and/or (2) establish the severity of a veteran’s disability. Before the exam, the examiner will review your entire claims file, which contains previously submitted evidence and medical treatment records. The exam itself usually only lasts about 15-20 minutes, but can range anywhere from 5 minutes to several hours.
During the C&P exam, the examiners will ask questions about your disability and how it affects aspects of daily functioning. VA examiners might complete a Disability Benefits Questionnaire (DBQ) as well. Each DBQ is drafted to correspond with a specific condition, and is formatted for examiners to “check a box” next to descriptions that most accurately depict the disability in question. After the exam, the examiner will write up a report that includes a review of the exam’s findings, any clinical test results, and any medical literature used by the examiner. The C&P exam is then added to your claims file as part of the evidence VA adjudicators will use to make a decision.
- VA Disability for Medication Side Effects
- What Conditions Do Not Qualify for VA Disability Benefits?
- VA Disability Benefits for Gynecological Conditions
- VA Reimbursement for Emergency Medical Care
- VA Disability Rating for Spinal Fusion
- Is There a Medical Test for Burn Pit Exposure?
- Who Is Eligible for VA Service-Connected Disability Compensation?
- How Many Options Are There to Appeal a Disability Claims Decision in RAMP?
- Are There Retroactive Awards for Veterans Disability Claims?
- What Is an Extraschedular VA Disability Rating?
- VA Disability Benefits for Respiratory Conditions
- Top 5 VA Errors on Veterans’ Disability Claims
- VA Disability for Chronic Pain
- Top 8 Disability Claim & Appeal Tips
- 100% VA Disability and Working
Share this Post