Compensation and Pension (C&P) Examination Definition
A Compensation and Pension (C&P) exam, is a medical examination of a veteran’s disability, performed by a VA healthcare provider, or a VA contracted provider. VA uses C&P exams to gather more evidence on a veteran’s claimed condition before issuing a decision and assigning a rating. Most commonly, C&P exams are used to (1) confirm or deny service connection, and/or (2) establish the severity of a veteran’s disability. Before the exam, the examiner will review your entire claims file, which contains previously submitted evidence and medical treatment records. The exam itself usually only lasts about 15-20 minutes, but can range anywhere from 5 minutes to several hours.
During the C&P exam, the examiners will ask questions about your disability and how it affects aspects of daily functioning. VA examiners might complete a Disability Benefits Questionnaire (DBQ) as well. Each DBQ is drafted to correspond with a specific condition, and is formatted for examiners to “check a box” next to descriptions that most accurately depict the disability in question. After the exam, the examiner will write up a report that includes a review of the exam’s findings, any clinical test results, and any medical literature used by the examiner. The C&P exam is then added to your claims file as part of the evidence VA adjudicators will use to make a decision.
- What Conditions Do Not Qualify for VA Disability Benefits?
- VA Disability Benefits for Insomnia
- VA Disability Rating for Depression and Anxiety
- VA Disability Ratings for Cancer and its Residuals
- VA Disability Benefits for Carpal Tunnel
- Can You Receive VA Disability Benefits for Life?
- Do I Qualify for Total Disability Based on Individual Unemployment?
- How Do I Calculate VA Disability Compensation & Benefits?
- Can VA Take Away Your Disability Rating?
- Who Is Eligible for VA Service-Connected Disability Compensation?
- VA Disability Benefits for Respiratory Conditions
- Compensation and Pension (C&P) Exams for PTSD – Video
- CCK LIVE UNDER 5:00 : 100% Disability vs. TDIU
- Video: Types of 100% VA Disability Ratings
- VA Disability for Migraines & Headaches
Share this Post