Compensation and Pension (C&P) Examination Definition
A Compensation and Pension (C&P) exam, is a medical examination of a veteran’s disability, performed by a VA healthcare provider, or a VA contracted provider. VA uses C&P exams to gather more evidence on a veteran’s claimed condition before issuing a decision and assigning a rating. Most commonly, C&P exams are used to (1) confirm or deny service connection, and/or (2) establish the severity of a veteran’s disability. Before the exam, the examiner will review your entire claims file, which contains previously submitted evidence and medical treatment records. The exam itself usually only lasts about 15-20 minutes, but can range anywhere from 5 minutes to several hours.
During the C&P exam, the examiners will ask questions about your disability and how it affects aspects of daily functioning. VA examiners might complete a Disability Benefits Questionnaire (DBQ) as well. Each DBQ is drafted to correspond with a specific condition, and is formatted for examiners to “check a box” next to descriptions that most accurately depict the disability in question. After the exam, the examiner will write up a report that includes a review of the exam’s findings, any clinical test results, and any medical literature used by the examiner. The C&P exam is then added to your claims file as part of the evidence VA adjudicators will use to make a decision.
- VA Disability Benefits for Allergic Rhinitis
- VA Disability Ratings for Spinal Stenosis
- How to Get a 100% Disability Rating for PTSD
- VA Disability Ratings of the Genitourinary System
- VA Disability Benefits for Renal (Kidney) Cancer
- Are There Retroactive Awards for Veterans Disability Claims?
- Can VA Take Away Your Disability Rating?
- How Many Options Are There to Appeal a Disability Claims Decision in RAMP?
- I Am a Disabled Veteran; Am I Eligible for Disability Benefits?
- Getting Veterans (VA) Disability for Toxic Water at Camp Lejeune
- Camp Lejeune Water Contamination & VA Disability Benefits
- VA Disability Benefits for Diabetes
- VA Math & Disability Ratings
- VA Disability Benefits for Anxiety
- How to Challenge a VA Exam (C&P Exam)
Share this Post