Court rules veteran may be entitled to presumptive services connection due to herbicide exposure
CCK successfully appealed to the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims a Board Decision that denied the Veteran service connection for diabetes mellitus and ischemic heart disease, as a result of herbicide exposure. The Veteran claimed that he performed service in Vietnam’s inland waterways and went ashore in Vietnam while serving aboard a Navy vessel stationed offshore. In its decision, the Board stated that the Veteran’s claims could not be substantiated without objective evidence that he served in inland waterways or went ashore in Vietnam.
CCK argued, and the Court agreed, that the Board erred by requiring objective evidence that the Veteran went ashore without addressing the credibility of his assertions. The Court held that if the Veteran’s lay assertions were found credible, he would then be entitled to service connection on a presumptive basis due to herbicide exposure. The Court vacated the Board’s decision and remanded the case back to the Board for readjudication consistent with the Court’s decision.
To read the Court’s decision, click here.
- CCK Successfully Substituted Sister-in-Law into Case Before Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- Board Incorrectly Applied Presumption of Soundness When Denying Service Connection for Respiratory Disability Other Than Pneumonia
- Board Erred in Denying Service Connection for Diabetes as Due to Agent Orange Exposure
- CCK Helps Marine Corps Veteran Appeal Denial of Service Connection for Knee Disabilities
- Court Agrees with CCK: Board Erred in Denying Service Connection for Hypertension as Due to Herbicide Exposure
- What Can I Do to Establish Service Connection for My Condition?
- What Benefits and Services Are Available for Veterans with PTSD?
- What Issues Can Agent Orange Exposure Cause?
- Can a Father’s Agent Orange Exposure Cause Birth Defects?
- As a Veteran, How Much Will My Appeal of a Board Denial to the Court Cost?
- CCK Court Wins: Agent Orange & Gulf War Illness
- CCK Court Win: Precedential Decision on VA Unemployability
- BREAKING NEWS: Court Rules Blue Water Navy Veterans Should Be Eligible for Agent Orange Presumption
- Monk v. Wilkie: Class Actions at the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC)
- 5 Ways to Establish VA Service Connection – Video
Share this Post