Court rules veteran may be entitled to presumptive services connection due to herbicide exposure
CCK successfully appealed to the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims a Board Decision that denied the Veteran service connection for diabetes mellitus and ischemic heart disease, as a result of herbicide exposure. The Veteran claimed that he performed service in Vietnam’s inland waterways and went ashore in Vietnam while serving aboard a Navy vessel stationed offshore. In its decision, the Board stated that the Veteran’s claims could not be substantiated without objective evidence that he served in inland waterways or went ashore in Vietnam.
CCK argued, and the Court agreed, that the Board erred by requiring objective evidence that the Veteran went ashore without addressing the credibility of his assertions. The Court held that if the Veteran’s lay assertions were found credible, he would then be entitled to service connection on a presumptive basis due to herbicide exposure. The Court vacated the Board’s decision and remanded the case back to the Board for readjudication consistent with the Court’s decision.
To read the Court’s decision, click here.
- Board erred in relying on an inadequate medical opinion to deny service connection for sarcoidosis
- Board Erred in Denying Gulf War Vet Service Connection for Insomnia Disorder Based on Pyramiding
- PTSD symptoms not fully analyzed by Board, Court finds
- Court Agrees with CCK: Board Erred in Denying Service Connection for Hypertension as Due to Herbicide Exposure
- CCK Successfully Appeals Denial of Service Connection to Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- What Benefits and Services Are Available for Veterans with PTSD?
- What Issues Can Agent Orange Exposure Cause?
- What is the Process in a Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC) or Veterans Court Appeal?
- What Can I Do to Establish Service Connection for My Condition?
- Can a Father’s Agent Orange Exposure Cause Birth Defects?
- CCK Court Win: Precedential Decision on VA Unemployability
- CCK Court Win for Gulf War Veterans: Precedential Decision
- 5 Ways to Establish VA Service Connection – Video
- Robert Chisholm Interviews Military Exposure Expert Dr. Victoria Cassano
- VA’s Herbicide Problem: Get the Truth About Agent Orange
Share this Post