CCK Law Secures Earlier Effective Date for Veteran
Board Determines Veteran’s Effective Date to be a Year Prior to Her Request to Open a Previously Denied Claim
CCK succeeded in appealing a Board of Veterans’ Appeals decision that denied the Veteran an effective date earlier that October 9, 2007, for service connection for her Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The Board found this was the proper effective date as it was a year before the Veteran filed her request to reopen a previously denied claim of service connection for gastrointestinal problems.
Court Agrees with CCK’s Argument that the Veteran had Submitted New and Material Evidence Within a Year of the Original Claim
On appeal, her attorneys argued that within a year of the October 1997 rating decision denying her original claim, she submitted a medical report showing a diagnosis of IBS and that since this was not a previously established part of her claim, it was sufficient to keep the claim open until VA later adjudicated her October 2008 request to reopen. The Court agreed and held that because she was awarded service connection for IBS as a medically unexplained chronic multi-symptom illness under 38 C.F.R. § 3.317 and her claim remained pending when VA amended the regulation to include a presumption of service connection for veterans who served in Southwest Asia during the Persian Gulf War, she was entitled to an effective date of March 1, 2002, the date the amendment became effective.
- Court Finds Board Deviated from Manual Guidance in Denial related to Herbicide Exposure in Thailand
- Board denial of service connection for GERD, right knee failed to address VA examination
- CCK succeeds at Court representing Veteran’s widow appealing for service connection for Cause of Death
- Board erred in relying on an inadequate medical opinion to deny service connection for sarcoidosis
- Board Erred in Denying Service Connection for Veteran’s Psychiatric Condition and Seizure Disorder
- As a Veteran, How Much Will My Appeal of a Board Denial to the Court Cost?
- I Received an Unfavorable Board Decision; What Should I Do?
- Is Having Your TDIU Claim Deferred Bad News?
- How Do You Determine the Effective Date of Veterans Disability?
- How to File a Claim for Agent Orange Exposure?
- Long-Term Disability (LTD) Claim & Update Forms
- Secondary Service Connection & Aggravation
- Military Sexual Trauma (MST): How to Get Service Connection – Video
- How and When to Appeal Your VA Claim Decision
- Top 8 Disability Claim & Appeal Tips
Share this Post