Board of Veterans’ Appeals (BVA): less productive this year than in past years?
The Board of Veterans’ Appeals (BVA) fiscal year runs from October 1 to September 30. For fiscal years 2014 through 2016, the Board issued more than 50,000 dispositions per year. But for the first five months of fiscal year 2017, the Board’s production has significantly dropped. The BVA is on pace to issue only 35,239 dispositions in fiscal year 2017.
Here are the actual numbers for each year:
- In FY 2014, the Board issued 55,532 dispositions, averaging 4,627 dispositions per month.
- In FY 2015, the Board issued 55,713 dispositions averaging 4,642 dispositions per month.
- In FY 2016, the Board issued 52,009 dispositions averaging 4,334 dispositions per month.
- For the first five months of FY 2017, the Board has issued 14,683 dispositions, averaging 2,936 dispositions each month.
The following table reflects this data:
|Fiscal Year (FY)||Total Number of Yearly Dispositions||Monthly Average Number of Dispositions|
|FY 2017 (to date)||14,683||2,936.60|
The BVA’s Annual Reports reflecting the data for fiscal years 2014 and 2015 can be found here. Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick has received the BVA data for fiscal years 2016 and 2017 through Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
- VA Disability Benefits Appeals Reform: the New Claim Stream
- Court finds Board erred in denying Veteran’s CUE claim
- Full Implementation of Appeals Reform: VA Publishes Updates to Adjudications Manual
- What Is a Board Remand?
- Why Reform the Appeals System
- I Received an Unfavorable Board Decision; What Should I Do?
- Once I Opt In to RAMP Can I Ever Return to the Legacy Appeals Process?
- Why Did the VA Create the Rapid Appeals Modernization Program (RAMP)?
- Can Anyone Opt Into the Rapid Appeals Modernization Program (RAMP)?
- I Received the Rapid Appeals Modernization Program (RAMP) Letter, What Now?
- Understanding Your BVA Decision
- VA Appeals Reform is HERE (February 19, 2019)
- Monk v. Wilkie: Class Actions at the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC)
- VA Appeals Reform: Proposed Regulations
- VA Claims & Appeals Timeline
Share this Post