- Supplemental Statement of the Case (SSOC)
- A Supplemental Statement of the Case (SSOC) is a document provided by your local Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) regional office to amend or update the Statement of the Case (SOC).
You will receive an SSOC if you submitted new evidence with your appeal of the SOC and the VA is continuing to deny your claim. It explains why the VA has decided to deny some or all of your appeal based on the evidence submitted. You, or your representative, are free to submit more evidence if you disagree with the VA’s decision. If the VA still is not convinced, it will send you yet another SSOC.
What is the difference between a SOC and SSOC?
An SOC is issued in response to a Notice of Disagreement if the VA is continuing to deny your claim. The SOC provides an in-depth explanation of the VA’s denial. Upon receipt of the SOC, you can continue your appeal by filing a VA Form 9 and attaching any new evidence.
The VA reviews this new evidence and updates its decision. If it decides to deny any part of your appeal, it will send an SSOC to explain the rationale behind its decision.
How many times can I appeal an SSOC?
Technically, you can continue to appeal VA decisions indefinitely so long as your appeals are filed on time. The VA does not place a limit on how many SSOCs it will send out. But continuing to file appeals is not particularly useful unless you have the evidence to support your claim. For this reason, it is vital to make your claim as strong as possible the first time around.
An experienced VA attorney at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD can gather the evidence you need and build your case to give you the best chance of a favorable outcome.
Should I call an attorney when I receive an SSOC?
The VA allows you to act as your own advocate in the appeals process. However, there are many benefits to having an attorney advocating on your behalf. By the time you receive an SSOC, the VA has either denied or only partially granted your claim at least twice. Given the previous denials, it may be in your best interest to have a professional, experienced attorney working on your behalf to develop the strongest legal argument possible for your case.
A veterans’ advocate at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD can act on your behalf and strengthen your case. We have years of experience winning VA appeals for our clients and would love to show how we can help you. Call today for a free consultation: 401-331-6300.« Return to the Veterans' Resource Center
- Can I Opt-In to RAMP Without Receiving an Invitation Letter?
- What is a Board of Veterans’ Appeals Remand?
- 2018 Veterans Affairs (VA) Disability Calculator
- What is the CAVC, or Veterans Court?
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »