A defoliant chemical is a substance applied to trees or plants that causes the leaves to fall off prematurely and the plant to die. In agriculture, crop growers use defoliants to combat invasive plants.
Many defoliant chemicals are highly effective and have low risks when used properly. However, certain defoliants have been linked to a wide range of health problems, many of which are severe and life-threatening. One of the most well-known defoliant chemicals associated with medical issues is Agent Orange – an herbicide used by the U.S. military during the Vietnam War to deprive enemy fighters of the ability to use the area’s natural foliage as cover.
Why the Military Used Defoliants During Vietnam and Other Conflicts
During the Vietnam War, enemy fighters concealed themselves in heavily forested areas, lying in wait to ambush U.S. soldiers. This guerrilla tactic resulted in many casualties for the United States. The military responded by using Agent Orange to clear out foliage and deprive enemy soldiers of both hiding places and crops for food.
How Defoliant Chemicals Such as Agent Orange Lead to Health Problems
Agent Orange contains a type of dioxin known as TCDD (2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin), which is created as a byproduct during the manufacturing process. TCDD is known as the most harmful of all dioxins, and is classified by the Environmental Protection Agency as a human carcinogen.
Medical Conditions That Are Linked to Exposure to Defoliant Chemicals
Over the years, VA has acknowledged the danger posed by Agent Orange. It has compiled a list of medical conditions for which there is substantial evidence linking them to Agent Orange exposure.
Veterans who served in certain capacities, such as in Vietnam between January 9, 1962, and May 7, 1975, and later developed one of the following conditions, qualify for presumptive service connection when applying for VA disability benefits:
- Chronic B-cell Leukemias
- Diabetes Mellitus Type 2
- Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
- Ischemic Heart Disease
- Multiple Myeloma
- Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Peripheral Neuropathy, Early-Onset
- Porphyria Cutanea Tarda
- Prostate Cancer
- Respiratory Cancers (cancers of the lung, larynx, trachea, and bronchus)
- Soft Tissue Sarcomas
For a Free Consultation With the VA Disability Team at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD, Call 800-544-9144 Today
The VA disability lawyers at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD may be able to help you receive VA disability benefits. Our firm operates on a contingency fee basis meaning we do not get paid until you do. For a free case evaluation with a member of our team, call 800-544-9144 today.« Return to the Veterans' Resource Center
- How to Prove Agent Orange Exposure?
- What Should You Include in Your Claim for TDIU?
- What Was Agent Orange Used For?
- How Many Options Are There to Appeal a Disability Claims Decision in RAMP?
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »