Claims Advocate/Paralegal (Full-time, Houston Office)
Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick (CCK) is a private, public-interest law firm offering rewarding work with a focus on disabled military veterans and their families, as well as a wide range of other individuals who have been denied life, health, and disability benefits. As a team, we are committed to equality and inclusion in the workplace and seek to hire well-qualified and highly motivated individuals who best represent the diversity of our clients. CCK is seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented Claims Advocate/Paralegal to join our growing team!
As a Claims Advocate, you will assist our Lead Advocates in developing cases by completing forms and statements with our clients, drafting arguments and appeals, conducting research, and preparing assessments in support of our clients’ cases. You will also be responsible for prioritizing and completing tasks assigned in a timely manner to ensure high-quality service to our clients.
- Conduct research, review client files, and prepare assessments as directed concerning theories, strategy, and/or arguments in support of Agency clients’ cases
- Draft development, claims, arguments, appeals, and motions for clients’ cases
- Prioritize the completion of case core work and assignments, meet internal deadlines as set by Senior Claims Advocates, Lead Advocates, and management, and ensure that assignments are completed to meet external (i.e., VA) deadlines
- Conduct interviews and promptly draft corresponding declarations with clients and third parties (e.g., client family members, friends, employers) in support of their claims
- Update CCK’s case management program files with all pertinent correspondence and information needed for reporting
- Develop an understanding of pertinent case law, etc. for application in draft claims, arguments, and appeals
- Attend training sessions
- Coordinate with other Claims Advocates, Client Advocates, Senior Claims Advocates, and Lead Advocates as necessary to accomplish workload objectives
- Complete all additional training as assigned by your supervisor
- Assist team with the training of new Claims Advocates and Client Advocates as needed
- High School degree required; Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field preferred
- 2+ years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred but not required
- Fluency in English; Bilingual in Spanish is a plus
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate responsibly
- Detail-oriented with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to work well in a team-oriented environment
- Proficiency with standard office equipment and software
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office, Outlook and Adobe Acrobat
- This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CST with a 30-minute lunch period.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Budgeted starting annual salary is $42,500
- Comprehensive benefit plans including health, disability, and life insurance; 401(k) retirement plan; paid time off; a gym reimbursement program; and much more.
- This role will be required to report to the newly opened Houston Office daily and adhere to our remote work policy.
- 1-month of paid training and routine refresher trainings will be provided.
- Must have reliable access to your own internet connection and internet router to work remotely.
- Please include resume, cover letter, and previously written writing sample to be considered (no-length or format requirement).
CCK provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
If you are passionate about assisting our Veterans Practice Group and providing high-quality service to our clients, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity.