Full Implementation of Appeals Reform: VA Publishes Updates to Adjudications Manual
On August 23, 2017, the Veterans Appeals Improvement and Modernization Act of 2017 (Appeals Reform) was signed into law. Specifically, the new system allows veterans to choose from three different review options, or lanes, when filing an appeal: the higher-level review lane, the supplemental claim lane, and the Notice of Disagreement (i.e. Appeal to the Board of Veterans’ Appeals) lane. There are three additional options for veterans at the Board: the direct review docket, evidence docket, and hearing docket. Appeals Reform was officially implemented today, February 19, 2019. All requests for review of VA decisions that were issued on or after today will be processed under the new, multi-lane system. Earlier today, VA also published updates to nearly 100 sections of its Adjudications Manual (M21-1 Manual) to reflect the changes implemented by Appeals Reform. The M21-1 Manual outlines VA’s internal policies and procedures and guides VA adjudicators in making decisions.
- Appeals Reform: An Adjudicator’s Role in Processing Appeals Under the New System
- VA Disability Compensation: an overview of the Legacy claims and appeals process
- What to Do When You Get a Board Decision Under Appeals Reform
- Finality of VA Decisions: Legacy Appeals System vs. Appeals Reform
- Can You Have VA Disability Appeals in Both the Legacy and Appeals Reform Systems?
- What is the Process in a Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC) or Veterans Court Appeal?
- Should I Wait to File an Appeal Until VA Appeals Reform Takes Effect?
- Once I Opt In to RAMP Can I Ever Return to the Legacy Appeals Process?
- Is RAMP a Part of the Veterans Appeals Improvement and Modernization Act of 2017?
- Who is Eligible for the Rapid Appeals Modernization Program (RAMP)?
- Monk v. Wilkie: Class Actions at the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC)
- VA Appeals Reform is HERE (February 19, 2019)
- VA Claims and Appeals Backlog (Dec. 2018 Update)
- Revisiting the Rapid Appeals Modernization Program (RAMP)
- The New VA Appeals System, Explained
Share this Post