The Board Erred In Finding 1983 Bva Decision Subsumed A 1953 Rating Decision
Requests for revision based upon clear and unmistakable error are some of the most complex issues for the VA and the Court and this case exemplifies the difficulty. In 1953, the Regional Office denied the Veteran service connection for his head and neck injuries, finding there was no evidence that the Veteran suffered a gunshot wound in service. For years the Veteran wrote VA informing them that it was not a gunshot wound, but a land mine explosion, that caused his injuries. The Regional Office eventually found the Veteran entitled to service connection for residuals of a land mine explosion, with an effective date of February 2011, the date the Veteran filed a claim to reopen his case.
The Veteran disagreed with the effective date assigned, arguing that his effective date should be the date of his original claim in 1953. The Board concluded that the 1953 denial was made final by a 1983 Board decision and therefore the 1953 decision could not be collaterally attacked on the bases of CUE. The Court of Appeal for Veterans Claims held that the Board committed legal error when it found that the 1953 rating decision was made final by the 1983 Board decision. More importantly, the Court reversed the Board’s finding that the 1983 Board decision made the 1953 rating decision un-appealable, and ordered the Board on remand to consider there was clear and unmistakable error in the 1953 decision.
- CCK Successfully Appeals Denial of Service Connection to Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- TDIU Denial Contained Legal Error by the Board
- CCK successfully argues for a precedential decision about protected work environment
- Denial of service connection for hearing loss disability failed to consider delayed onset
- Board Fails to Discuss Prior Diagnoses of Psychiatric Condition in Denying Service Connection
- What is the Process in a Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC) or Veterans Court Appeal?
- What is a Decision Review Officer (DRO)?
- How Do You Determine the Effective Date of Veterans Disability?
- What Can I Do to Establish Service Connection for My Condition?
- I Received an Unfavorable Board Decision; What Should I Do?
- CCK Court Win: Precedential Decision on VA Unemployability
- BREAKING NEWS: Court Rules Blue Water Navy Veterans Should Be Eligible for Agent Orange Presumption
- The Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC)
- The Elements of Service Connection
- Monk v. Wilkie: Class Actions at the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC)
- Clear and Unmistakable Error (CUE) Definition
- Effective Date Definition
- Presumption of Service Connection Definition
Share this Post