Veterans (VA) Disability Lawyer Serving Oregon
If you are a veteran living in Oregon and suffer from a disability you believe is due to your time in service, you could be eligible for benefits from VA.
Unfortunately, VA may deny your initial claim for service-connected compensation. The team of veterans lawyers serving Oregon at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD may be able to help with your appeal.
To speak with a team member, call us today at 800-544-9144.
Oregon VA Benefit Resources
Oregon VA Regional Benefit Office
- Portland: Portland Regional Benefit Office
Oregon VA Medical Centers
- Portland: Portland VA Medical Center
- Roseburg: Roseburg VA Health Care System
- White City: White City or VA Southern Oregon Rehabilitation Center
Oregon VA Outpatient Clinics
Newport: Newport Outreach Clinic
The Dalles: The Dalles Outreach Clinic
West Linn: West Linn CBOC
Oregon VA Statistics
As of 2016, Oregon has:
- More than 310,000 veterans (nearly 10 percent of the state’s population)
- Almost 70,000 veterans who receive VA disability compensation
- More than 142,000 veterans enrolled in VA’s health care system (102,000 of whom have sought treatment at a VA health center)
- 52 percent of Oregon’s veterans are 65 or older, and almost 7 percent are military retirees
How to Win VA Disability Compensation in Oregon
VA requires you to meet three main criteria in order to receive disability benefits. First, you must have a current diagnosis of a qualifying condition. Second, an event, injury, or illness occurred during your military service. Third, you must establish a “nexus.”
A Current, Diagnosed Condition
You must have a current diagnosis of a qualifying condition from a qualified healthcare professional. Even if your condition does not render you totally disabled, you may still qualify to receive VA disability benefits.
An Event, Injury, or Illness Occurred During Service
You must show that an event, injury, or illness occurred during your military service. Examples of this event could include an injury that occurred either during a training exercise or a combat mission, or exposure to toxic chemicals.
Providing a “Nexus”
A “nexus” is a connection between your current medical condition and the event, injury, or illness that occurred during your military service. A qualified medical professional must provide a positive “nexus” by stating it is “at least as likely as not” that your current condition is due to service.
VA Disability Compensation Levels
When VA grants service-connected compensation for your conditions, you are assigned a disability rating. This rating is based on the severity of your condition and ranges from 0 to 100 percent. Your combined disability rating determines the amount of monthly compensation you receive.
The 2020 VA disability rate benefit amounts are as follows:
- 0 percent disability rating: $0.00 per month
- 10 percent disability rating: $142.29 per month
- 20 percent disability rating: $281.27 per month
- 30 percent disability rating: $435.69 per month
- 40 percent disability rating: $627.61 per month
- 50 percent disability rating: $893.43 per month
- 60 percent disability rating: $1,131.68 per month
- 70 percent disability rating: $1,426.17 per month
- 80 percent disability rating: $1,657.80 per month
- 90 percent disability rating: $1,862.96 per month
- 100 percent disability rating: $3,106.04 per month
If you have a combined rating of 30 percent or higher, you may be eligible for additional compensation on behalf of qualifying dependents living in your home. Qualifying dependents can include a spouse, minor children or children still in school, or dependent parents.
Speak With a Member of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD by Calling 800-544-9144
If you are worried about hiring a VA disability lawyer because you do not think you can afford it, keep in mind that we work on a contingency basis. This means that we do not get paid until you do. The veterans lawyers serving Oregon at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD offer a free evaluation to determine if we are able to assist. To speak with a member of our team, call our office at 800-544-9144.