Permanent and total disability, or P&T, refers to veterans whose disabilities are total (i.e. rated 100% disabling by VA) and permanent (i.e. meaning they have a minimal chance or no chance of their condition ever improving).
When the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) determines a veteran’s disability is permanent and total, they are eligible for VA disability benefits at the maximum monthly compensation level. Importantly, P&T ratings are protected from being reduced and veterans are guaranteed to continue receiving such benefits for the rest of their lives. VA does not require those assigned a permanent and total disability rating to undergo any further medical examinations.
How to Receive a P&T Designation
VA requires more than just a severe, long-term illness for veterans to receive P&T disability. Many veterans who receive P&T disability have conditions so severe that they are unable to work or perform most activities of daily living, such as eating, bathing, and dressing, without assistance.
Though “permanent and total” is often used as a single phrase, veterans can have a total disability that’s temporary or a permanent disability rated less than 100 percent. However, to receive P&T disability rating, you must be both permanently and totally disabled.
You do not have to fill out any special paperwork to apply for P&T disability, but it helps to have substantial evidence painting a clear picture of the impact your condition has on your daily life. If you are denied, a veteran’s lawyer from Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD may be able to help you gather the evidence you need to appeal.
Contact a VA Disability Lawyer to Discuss the Details of Your Appeal
The veteran’s lawyers at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD may be able to help you receive VA disability benefits, including P&T disability. If you have applied for benefits and been denied, we may be able to help you appeal for a more favorable outcome. Call us today at 800-544-9144 for a free case evaluation.
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »