Veteran (VA) Disability Lawyer Serving Lakewood, Colorado
If you are a veteran living or working in Lakewood, Colorado, or the surrounding area, and believe that your service-related medical condition is limiting your ability to participate in activities you enjoy or earn a living, you may meet the qualifications for disability benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). There are resources in and around Lakewood to help you learn more.
If you already applied for VA benefits and received a denial, a veteran (VA) disability attorney serving Lakewood, Colorado may be able to help. At Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD, our team of attorneys and professionals fight to overturn wrongful denials on behalf of our clients. Call (844) 549-4500 to speak to a member of our team today!
Lakewood, Colorado VA Regional Benefit Office
One of the best resources for learning more about your options and getting help applying for benefits is the Denver Regional Office, located in Lakewood. This U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs regional benefit office is at 155 Van Gordon Street.
This facility processes VA disability benefits claims for applicants in Lakewood, Denver, and other cities in the area. In addition, they provide help and support for veterans living with service-connected health conditions. You can visit this office Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. until 4 p.m. for assistance.
VA Clinics Serving Lakewood, Colorado
There are no additional benefit offices in Lakewood since it is home to the Denver Regional Office which serves most of the state. This facility provides in-person and telephone support, and the staff there can help you understand and apply for VA disability benefits, as well as many other types of benefits that you or your family could qualify to receive.
In addition to the regional benefit office in Lakewood, you can also receive help and support from:
- The Community Resource & Referral Center (CRRC) located at the York Street VA Clinic in Denver, (720) 501-3367
- The Rocky Mountain Regional VA Medical Center in Aurora
VA Medical Centers Serving Lakewood, Colorado
Before you can receive a grant of service-connected VA disability benefits, you typically must be diagnosed with a condition or illness by a medical professional. It is helpful to know where you can see a VA doctor in or near Lakewood.
Local VA outpatient clinics where you may receive primary care service include:
If you require specialty care, overnight hospitalization, surgery, or other types of care not provided at an outpatient clinic, you may be able to see a doctor at the Rocky Mountain Regional VA Medical Center in Aurora, CO.
You can also seek a diagnosis, treatment, and monitoring from a private physician of your choice if you prefer, or if you do not qualify for VA healthcare.
Appealing a VA Disability Benefits Denial in Lakewood, CO
Generally, receiving a grant of service connection requires three things:
- An in-service event, injury, or illness;
- A current diagnosis by a medical professional; and
- A medical nexus, or link, between your in-service event, injury, or illness and your current diagnosis.
Unless you submit them with your application as a completely developed claim, the rating specialist or other VA employee handling the evaluation of your application will likely need to request your medical records from your doctor and your service records from your branch of the military.
It is not uncommon that a veteran’s initial claim for disability benefits is denied. However, it is important to understand that you have the right to appeal a decision by VA if you believe your claim was wrongfully denied. In the modernized appeals system, you generally have three options for challenging VA’s decision:
- Submitting a Supplemental Claim, in which you introduce new and relevant evidence;
- Requesting a Higher-Level Review of your current claim by a senior VA employee; or
- Filing a Notice of Disagreement and requesting that your claim be reviewed by the Board of Veterans’ Appeals.
You have one year from the date of your denial to file a formal appeal. A VA disability attorney serving Lakewood, Colorado may be able to explain your options and help you build a strong case for appeal.
Discuss Your Case with One of Our Veterans’ Advocates
A veteran (VA) disability attorney serving Lakewood, Colorado from Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD may be able to help you build a compelling case and fight to overturn a denial of your VA disability benefits.
Call (844) 549-4500 to learn more.
Lakewood Blog Posts
- Top 5 Issues for Veterans Affairs (VA) in 2020
1. VA’s Caregiver Program Expansion to Pre-9/11 Veterans The VA Mission Act launched back in June 2019 had a provision that expands caregiver assistance to more veterans. The Caregiver Assistance Program provides caregivers of disabled veterans with monthly compensation, medical training, healthcare benefits, and respite. Currently, the program is limited to veterans who served from […]
- Agent Orange Exposure During the Vietnam War
Agent Orange refers to a blend of herbicides used by the U.S. military to remove tree and foliage cover in the jungles of Vietnam and around the Korean demilitarized zone. Agent Orange is known to cause a variety of cancers and other health problems. Fortunately, the VA has a “presumptive policy” for veterans exposed to […]
- What is the Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA) Program?
The Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program is a part of the GI Bill aimed at offering education and training to eligible survivors and dependents of veterans and servicemembers who: died while on active duty, or passed away as a result of a service-connected disability, or are currently permanently and totally disabled due to […]