Maura J. Black
Maura is a managing attorney at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD in Providence, Rhode Island, where she specializes in representing disabled veterans and their families before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, the Board of Veterans’ Appeals, and the Department of Veterans Affairs. Throughout her career, she has represented hundreds of veterans and their dependents in their pursuit of VA benefits. She has presented and organized numerous continuing legal education events that have focused on service-connected VA benefits and appeals, VA’s appeals reform legislation, and petitions for writs of mandamus at the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. In the spring of 2022, Maura served as a panelist during an Appeals Modernization Act presentation at the Fifteenth Judicial Conference of the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.
Maura is an active member of the Federal Bar Association. From 2017 to 2022, she served in leadership positions in the FBA’s Veterans and Military Law Section. She is currently the chair of the Sections and Divisions Council.
Prior to joining Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick in 2016, Maura gained experience as an associate attorney in a civil litigation firm, a judicial law clerk in the Rhode Island Superior Court, and an intern with both the Rhode Island Public Defender’s office and Rhode Island Legal Services. She is a member of the Massachusetts and Rhode Island state bars and is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island and the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. Maura earned her law degree from Roger Williams University School of Law in 2014, graduating magna cum laude. She was a member of the Roger Williams University Law Review, where she worked as an Articles Editor and published a case survey.
Maura spends her free time cooking, fitness training, spending time with her friends and family, and enjoying Rhode Island’s East Bay Bike Path.
- State of Rhode Island
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Federal Bar Association, Sections & Divisions Council, Chair
- Foundation of the Federal Bar Association, Fellow
- Federal Bar Association, Veterans and Military Law Section, Member
- Rhode Island Bar Association, Member
May 25, 2017
June 7, 2017
- Denial of Low Back Disability Relied on Insufficient Exam
- Board Fails to Provide Adequate Evidence for Denial of Disability Service Connection
- Board wrongly denied referral for extraschedular TDIU, higher rating for sensorineural hearing loss
- Board Erred in Denying Service Connection for Ischemic Heart Disease and PTSD, CCK Secures Remand
- BVA Denial of Right Hand Disability Based on Inadequate VA exam