J. Scott Kilpatrick
J. Scott Kilpatrick ("Scott") is a Founding Partner of CCK. He is a seasoned trial attorney and his practice focuses on civil litigation, including insurance disputes and general litigation. Scott has successfully litigated hundreds of complex and high stakes damages and benefits cases. His diverse experience base serves as an advantage for the firm’s clients in a broad range of matters, including insurance, business, and disputes over wills, trusts and other instruments.
After graduating from Emory University in 1985, Scott attended St. John’s University School of Law in 1988. Scott began his career as an Assistant Attorney General in the Criminal Division of the Rhode Island Department of Attorney General. He went on to work at Morrison & Mahoney & Miller, a large New England insurance litigation firm, until he and our other Founding Partner, Robert Chisholm, founded Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick in 1999.
Mr. Kilpatrick is a member of the Rhode Island and Massachusetts Bar Associations and sits on the Rhode Island Federal Bench/Bar Committee. He is also a member of the Federal Bar Association, of which he is a past President of the Rhode Island Chapter. He is a member of the American Association for Justice and the Rhode Island Association for Justice, where he serves on the Board of Governors. He is a member of the National Employment Lawyers Association, and has been a featured speaker for the National Business Institute, the Rhode Island Bar Association, and the Federal Bar Association on issues such as Trial Evidence in Federal and State Courts, Trial Practice, and ERISA Insurance Litigation. He is a contributing author to the last four editions of the American Bar Association’s book ERISA Survey of Federal Circuits. He is a member of the Roger Williams University School of Law Board of Directors, and sits on the Board’s Governance Committee. He also serves on the Civil Pro Bono Panel for the United States District Court for the District of Rhode Island, and serves as a member of the Rhode Island Supreme Court Disciplinary Board.
In his free time, Mr. Kilpatrick enjoys the outdoors, cooking, gardening, and spending time with his wife and three adult children.
- State of Rhode Island
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- Troiano v. Aetna Life Ins. Co., 844 F.3d 35 (1st Cir. 2016)
- Chisholm v. McDonald, 28 Vet. App. 240 (2016)
- Gazaille v. McDonald, 27 Vet. App. 205 (2014)
- Slusarski v. Life Ins. Co. of North America, 632 F. Supp. 159 (D.R.I. 2009)
- Smith v. Jefferson Pilot Financial Inc. Co., 607 F. Spp. 266 (D.Mass. 2009)
- Smith v. Jefferson Pilot Financial Ins. Co., 245 F.R.D. 45 (D.Mass. 2007)
- Kuhl v. Town of Westerly, 706 A.2d 1328 (R.I. 1998)
- Campbell v. Norfolk & Dedham Mut. Fire Ins. Co., 682 A.2d 9339 (R.I. 1996)
- Burke v. Rhode Island College, 671 A.2d 803 (R.I. 1996)
- State v. Smith, 602 A.2d 931 (R.I. 1992)
- State v. Porto, 591 A.2d 791 (R.I. 1991)
- State v. Turner, 561 A.2d 869 (R.I. 1989)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, National Association of Charitable Gift Planners (2018 - present)
- CCK LIVE: Effective Communication and Long-Term Disability Claims
- Tips for Completing Your Long-Term Disability Claim and Update Forms
- Long-Term Disability Policies: Definition of Disability
- CCK Recognized for Donations to American Veterans Disabled For Life Memorial
- CCK Sponsors Vietnam Memorial Moving Wall