J. Scott Kilpatrick
Mr. Kilpatrick (Scott) is an experienced trial attorney, having tried dozens of jury cases to verdicts, and hundreds of other bench trials, arbitrations, and mediations. He is a founding partner of the firm, serves as its Managing Partner, and directly oversees, the firm’s Bequest Management Practice.
Scott began his career as an Assistant Attorney General in the Criminal Division of the Rhode Island Department of Attorney General, where he spent four years investigating and trying felony criminal cases. In 1992, he became an associate attorney at Morrison Mahoney & Miller, a large New England insurance litigation firm, where he litigated negligence and insurance coverages cases leaving in 1998, to join our other founding partner, Robert Chisholm, and founded Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick in January, 1999. At CCK Scott has litigated a wide variety of cases, including probate, shareholder disputes, employment actions, trade secrets, discrimination, harassment cases, ERISA and other insurance related cases, catastrophic injury, product liability and wrongful death cases, as well as arguments before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. He manages the firm, and oversees the firm’s Bequest Management practice, with Supervising Attorney Linden Nash.
Scott is a member of the Rhode Island and Massachusetts Bar Associations. He is a member of the Federal Bar Association, of which he is a past President of the Rhode Island Chapter. He is a member of the American Association for Justice and the Rhode Island Association for Justice, where he serves on the Board of Governors. He has been a featured speaker for the National Business Institute, the Rhode Island Bar Association, and the Federal Bar Association on issues such as Trial Evidence in Federal and State Courts, Trial Practice, and ERISA Insurance Litigation. He is a contributing author to the last five editions of the American Bar Association’s book ERISA Survey of Federal Circuits. He is a member of the Roger Williams University School of Law Board of Directors, and serves on the Board’s Governance Committee. He also serves on the Rhode Island Supreme Court Disciplinary Board.
In his free time, Mr. Kilpatrick enjoys the outdoors, cooking, gardening, and spending time with his wife and three adult children.
- State of Rhode Island
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- Troiano v. Aetna Life Ins. Co., 844 F.3d 35 (1st Cir. 2016)
- Chisholm v. McDonald, 28 Vet. App. 240 (2016)
- Gazaille v. McDonald, 27 Vet. App. 205 (2014)
- Slusarski v. Life Ins. Co. of North America, 632 F. Supp. 159 (D.R.I. 2009)
- Smith v. Jefferson Pilot Financial Inc. Co., 607 F. Spp. 266 (D.Mass. 2009)
- Smith v. Jefferson Pilot Financial Ins. Co., 245 F.R.D. 45 (D.Mass. 2007)
- Kuhl v. Town of Westerly, 706 A.2d 1328 (R.I. 1998)
- Campbell v. Norfolk & Dedham Mut. Fire Ins. Co., 682 A.2d 9339 (R.I. 1996)
- Burke v. Rhode Island College, 671 A.2d 803 (R.I. 1996)
- State v. Smith, 602 A.2d 931 (R.I. 1992)
- State v. Porto, 591 A.2d 791 (R.I. 1991)
- State v. Turner, 561 A.2d 869 (R.I. 1989)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, National Association of Charitable Gift Planners (2018 - present)