It is normal to feel stressed after a car accident, especially if you have injuries, are anticipating expensive medical bills, or need to take weeks or months off work. Perhaps the insurance company calls are already coming in, or the other driver, who you know was at fault, is trying to place the blame on you. After a crash, a car accident lawyer serving Woonsocket, RI can help you pick up the pieces.
Talking to an attorney at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD carries no risk on your part. The consultation is free, and we do not get paid until we recover compensation for you. Call our office today at 401-331-6300 for your free consultation.
What Can I Expect from the Car Accident Process?
Rhode Island law holds drivers responsible for the injuries they cause in car accidents. This means that the driver who caused your accident should be liable for your injuries and other related losses.
To recover that compensation, we will file claims with that driver’s insurer. In making these claims, we need to prove that the person that injured you breached a duty to you that caused you damages. Here is a little more detail on duty, breach, causation and damages, which serve as the foundation of negligence claim:
- Duty: The driver must have owed you a duty. Generally, all drivers have a duty to drive safely and keep other road users from undue harm. Rhode Island law also has specific duties and rules of the road that each driver must follow. Failure to follow one of these laws can be evidence that is used to prove liability.
- Breach: The driver must have breached his or her duty. Drivers can breach their duty by breaking laws or otherwise behaving negligently (e.g., speeding, driving under the influence, texting and driving, etc.)
- Causation: The breach of duty must have been the cause of the accident and injuries. For example, the driver ran a red light, crashing into your car and causing you to suffer a traumatic brain injury.
- Damages: You must have suffered damages as a result of accident (e.g., medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc.)
Even if we are able to prove the elements of negligence, it is likely the other side will dispute liability and attempt to put the blame on you. Rhode Island law does allow those who contributed to accidents to recover compensation; however, it is important to note that your contribution will decrease your settlement.
For example, say you were rear-ended after coming to a stop to avoid debris in the roadway. The other driver was not paying close enough attention to stop in time; however, the investigation found your right taillight was burnt out. The investigation assigned you 10 percent of the fault for your burnt-out taillight. You would be able to recover 90 percent of your demand. If you requested $20,000, you would be able to recover $18,000 (90 percent).
What Will Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD Do for Me?
In addition to gathering evidence, proving liability, and disputing fault where appropriate, we will also:
Communicate and Negotiate With Insurers
One of the most difficult and frustrating things that injured parties must deal with after a car accident is the insurance company negotiation process. There is no way around this. If you want compensation for your damages, you must communicate and negotiate with the insurance company.
The insurer does not make this process easy. As a for-profit company, its primary concern is maximizing revenue and minimizing expenses, costs that include payouts to accident victims. So, if the insurance company can pay you less and get away with it, it probably will. To save itself money, it might offer you a low settlement or use what you say in a recorded statement against you.
The attorneys at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD handle this process for you, protecting you and your claim and never accepting a lower settlement than you deserve. We know how to take on the insurance companies.
How Much Is My Claim Worth?
To calculate the full value of your claim, we investigate your accident thoroughly. Chances are, you are eligible for some or all the following damages for your injuries:
- Current and anticipated future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish.
For a Free Consultation, Call 401-331-6300 Today.
The Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD team serves the Woonsocket area and wants to help you with your car accident claim. We can help you win compensation for your injuries. For a free consultation with one of our team members, call today: 401-331-6300.
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »