An extraschedular VA disability rating is one that grants you a higher rating than the one you would receive based on the standard rating schedule used by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). In situations where the VA’s schedule of ratings does not adequately reflect your degree of disability, you and your attorney can make a case for an extraschedular rating.
What Are the Requirements to Receive an Extraschedular VA Disability Rating?
VA regulation 38 C.F.R. § 3.321(b)(1) lists the criteria you must meet for the VA to consider granting you an extraschedular VA disability rating. First, you must display an “exceptional or unusual disability picture with such related factors as marked interference with employment or frequent periods of hospitalization as to render impractical the application of regular [schedular] standards.”
This means your condition must be unique enough that the standard disability rating schedule does not adequately or accurately reflect the degree to which your disability limits your functional capacity.
Most importantly, the condition that you are arguing deserves an extraschedular rating must be service-connected. This means you and your attorney must be able to demonstrate a clear, unambiguous nexus between a specific event in your military service, such as a combat mission or training exercises, and the diagnosis of the condition in question. If the VA believes that a non-military event might have caused or contributed to your condition, it will probably decline your application.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive with an Extraschedular VA Disability Rating?
Whether your disability rating is schedular or extraschedular, your monthly compensation depends on what that rating is. The higher your VA disability rating, the greater the amount of your monthly compensation. The VA disability benefit schedule for 2019 is as follows:
- 10 percent rating: $140.05 per month
- 20 percent rating: $276.84 per month
- 30 percent rating: $428.83 per month
- 40 percent rating: $617.73 per month
- 50 percent rating: $879.36 per month
- 60 percent rating: $1,113.86 per month
- 70 percent rating: $1,403.71 per month
- 80 percent rating: $1,631.69 per month
- 90 percent rating: $1,833.62 per month
- 100 percent rating: $3,057.13 per month
With a 30 percent rating or higher, you can receive additional benefits for dependents living in your household, such as your spouse, children, or dependent parents.
Call 800-544-9144 for a Free VA Disability Consultation
An experienced VA disability lawyer can review your claim and determine if applying for an extraschedular VA disability rating is a realistic possibility. At Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD, our focus is on helping veterans receive the benefits they deserve. Let us put our resources to work for you. For a free consultation, call our office at 800-544-9144.
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »