While it is a difficult process, there are a few options to increase your VA disability rating.
How Do I Increase My VA Disability Rating?
Under certain circumstances, the VA will change your disability rating in light of new evidence that your condition has improved or deteriorated.
If you think your service-connected condition warrants a higher disability rating than the one it currently holds, there are three routes you can take depending on which best fits your situation:
- File a Notice of Disagreement;
- File a claim for an Increased Rating; or
File a Notice of Disagreement
When you file a claim with the VA for service-connected compensation, the VA will issue a rating decision either granting or denying your claim. If the VA grants your claim, the rating decision will also include an effective date and a disability rating. If you think the disability rating VA has assigned is too low, you have 1 year from the date of the notification letter you received with the decision to file a Notice of Disagreement for an increased rating.
File a Claim for an Increased Rating
The disability rating VA assigns in its initial rating decision may be satisfactory at the time. But what happens if later on, you feel that rating is no longer sufficient? If you are outside of the 1 year appeal window, you should consider filing a new claim for an increased rating. You can submit any new documentation or evidence you have supporting that your service-connected disability has worsened. The VA will treat this as any other claim and issue a rating decision in response.
Is There Anything Else I Need to Know?
Yes. When you ask the VA to take another look at your disability rating, the VA reviews your entire claim file. It does not only look for evidence in support of your claim. If the VA feels your condition has actually improved, or that it initially assigned you too high of a rating, the VA reserves the right to decrease your disability rating.
Before filing a claim for an increased rating, do your research. Talk to your doctor and your attorney about how realistic your request is, and make sure you have actual medical evidence to support your claim for a higher rating.
We will ensure that your claim is strong enough to withstand scrutiny from the VA.
Have Questions? Call 800.544.9144 to Get Help from Our Team
The VA system is notoriously tough to navigate. It can be frustrating and often futile to do it on your own. But the team at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD is here to help you. We have helped many disabled veterans receive the benefits they rightfully deserve, and we can put our experience and resources to work for you.
If you think your VA disability rating is too low and that you should be receiving a higher disability rating, speak with us before starting the process with the VA. We may be able to help.
Call now for a free consultation: 800.544.9144.
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »