After a car accident, it is normal to feel anxious and uncertain about what happens next. You might find yourself with many questions:
- Are my injuries serious?
- How expensive will my medical bills be?
- How will I pay for them?
- What if I must miss work?
- How will I pay my bills?
- What happens if the insurance company denies my claim, or does not pay enough to cover my damages?
A car accident lawyer serving the New Bedford area at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD can help you navigate the difficult weeks and months following a crash. No matter who was at-fault for the accident, we can protect your rights, help minimize your liability, and ensure that you get the fair compensation you deserve.
We charge personal injury clients for results, not by the hour or the appointment. You will pay us a percentage of the money that we recover for you. We do not get paid until you do. Our initial evaluation is always free, so there is never any risk for you in contacting us. For your free case evaluation, call 617-935-0099.
How Does the Injury Claim Process Work in Massachusetts?
Because Massachusetts is a no-fault state, you might first turn to your own insurer for compensation for your medical bills. If you exhaust that policy or if you meet certain criteria (and if another driver is at-fault for the accident), you can file a claim with the other driver’s insurance company. If your medical bills exceed $2,000 or meet other criteria, you may be able to make claims for pain and suffering against the person who injured you.
In either case, you will likely face pushback from the insurance company. It might try to get you to agree to a low settlement or make you say something that could jeopardize your case. This could include anything from admitting that you caused the accident or that you are not as injured as you said you were.
To have a successful claim that can withstand the insurance company’s scrutiny, you must be able to prove the other party acted negligently. This process is often much more complex than it seems. The car accident team at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD can help.
Am I Required to Have a Lawyer Help Me After a Car Accident?
Massachusetts law does not require you to hire a lawyer after a car accident. However, if you decide to handle your case alone, you must do everything a lawyer would have done for you. This might include:
Negotiating with the Insurance Company
Insurance company ads make them out to be knights in shining armor after a car accident. Frankly, though, an insurance company’s main objective is to maximize profits, and one way to do that is by minimizing payouts to accident victims.
Hence, the minute you begin negotiating with the insurance company, whether yours or the other driver’s, it is going to look for reasons to reduce or deny your claim. Working with a lawyer, one who knows insurance company negotiations, can minimize the chance that the insurer is successful in doing so.
Handling Small Tasks
There are a lot of little tasks that come up after a car accident. Each one on its own might not seem like much. But when you add them together, they can become a big source of stress. These might include collecting medical records, completing insurance forms, finding experts, writing the settlement demand to the insurance company, negotiating with the insurance company, negotiating a reduction in your medical bills and making sure they are paid, and so forth.
Our attorneys and staff can handle this for you while you heal and try to get your life back to normal.
Fighting for Fair Compensation
Without a lawyer, you might never know just how much compensation you are entitled to. Most people do not know they are eligible for much more than medical bills, lost wages, and property damage. When we investigate your accident, we will also note every loss you suffered and work to hold the person who injured you responsible to repay you.
What If I Was Partially At-Fault for the Accident?
In Massachusetts, the assignment of fault is not always black and white. Sometimes drivers can share in the fault for an accident, and in these cases, both drivers could be eligible to win damages. That is because the state follows what is known as a comparative negligence law.
This law allows you to recover compensation as long as you were less than 51 percent at-fault. However, it is important to note that your percentage of fault will decrease your settlement amount.
Consider the following: You are involved in an accident with a distracted driver. An investigation found the other driver 80 percent at-fault; however, because you were speeding, you share 20 percent of the fault. You requested $50,000 in damages. You would only be eligible to recover $40,000 (80 percent).
No matter your share of fault, our attorneys seek to minimize your liability and maximize your award.
How Much Is My Claim Worth?
Many factors determine the value of a New Bedford car accident, too many, in fact, to give an accurate estimate before conducting a full investigation and knowing the full details of your accident.
What we can tell you, however, is that car accident victims often receive compensation for many forms of damages, including:
- Medical costs, both current and future
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Vehicle damage
- Other property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Loss of consortium
For a Free Case Evaluation with a Car Accident Lawyer Serving New Bedford, Call 617-935-0099
The team at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD wants to help you win your car accident claim. We have the tools and resources to take on the insurance company and help you receive fair compensation. To schedule your free case evaluation, call 617-935-0099.
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »