VA is short for the United States Department of Veterans Affairs. Before 1988, it was called the Veterans Administration. It is a government agency responsible for providing services to veterans. Although it is well known for its hospitals and health care benefits, VA administers a long list of programs ranging from job training and placement to readjustment counseling.
VA began in 1930 as a federal agency created by the FDR administration to help veterans during the Great Depression. Over the following decades, its role expanded, and in 1988 it became a Cabinet-level department. It also received its new and longer name, though most veterans just refer to it as “VA” or “the VA.”
Services Provided by VA
VA’s main areas of focus are health care and disability benefits. However, it also manages national cemeteries and runs a host of programs designed to improve the quality of servicemembers’ and veterans’ lives, both while they are still serving and once they return to a civilian role.
Health Care Services
VA’s health care services include access to hospitals, clinics, community centers, home health care, and readjustment counseling. The VA system has more than 1,600 health care facilities as of 2018, plus hundreds of medical clinics all over the country.
VA also offers many home health services to veterans who have limited mobility or otherwise cannot make it to a VA facility for treatment. Its readjustment counseling centers assist vets who have PTSD or who find it difficult to return to a normal life after deployment.
VA is known for the disability benefits it provides for veterans who suffer injury or illness in the course of their service. A veteran with a service-connected medical condition can receive a grant of benefits that includes monthly compensation and free VA health care.
VA runs 135 cemeteries across the country.
Education, Job Placement, Job Training, and Life Insurance
VA offers a wealth of additional services to veterans in the area of education, job placement, and job training. These services are designed to help veterans advance their careers both in and out of the service. When a service member returns to civilian life, VA has programs to help them transition.
VA also offers life insurance to protect veterans’ families.
Call 800-544-9144 Today for a Free VA Disability Case Evaluation With Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD
Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD is dedicated to helping veterans pursue the VA disability benefits they deserve. Our veterans disability lawyers may be able to help you receive VA disability benefits. For a free case evaluation with a member of our staff, call 800-544-9144 today.
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »