There is no specific amount of time for how long it takes VA to review evidence. The amount of time it takes can depend on the type of evidence you include and how it relates to your claim or appeal.
However, you can expect to wait months to receive a decision or a request for more evidence. According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), it takes 111.5 days on average to complete a disability-related claim (as of April 2019). Importantly, veterans may experience longer or shorter wait-periods.
How to Make the Evidence Review Process More Efficient
Unfortunately, VA does not operate under any time restrictions. However, you may be able to make the process more efficient if you include only evidence VA has requested or needs in order to make a decision in your case. Evidence that is not relevant to your claim may slow down the process.
At some stages in the process, VA has a “duty to assist” you in gathering the necessary evidence for your claim. If you include all the necessary evidence, VA does not need to take time obtaining that evidence on your behalf. If you did not include all of the necessary evidence, your claim might need to revisit the evidence gathering step. VA will make a decision on your claim when it believes it has all the required evidence.
If you are satisfied with VA’s decision, your work is complete. However, many veterans receive denials or lower ratings than they believe they deserve. In this case, you have the right to appeal VA’s decision.
Appeals Process Timeline
In an effort to streamline the very lengthy disability appeals process, VA implemented the Appeals Modernization Act (AMA) in February 2019. Under the new system, VA’s goal for issuing decisions on appeals in both the supplemental claim and higher-level review lanes is 125 days.
Call Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD for Help Navigating the New Appeals Process
If you received a denial from VA on or after February 19, 2019 and file an appeal, it will be processed under the “new” AMA system. If you filed an appeal before this date, you can continue using the “Legacy” appeals system, with VA presenting opportunities to opt into the AMA system. While both appeals systems can be difficult to navigate, Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick is experienced in helping veterans pursue the benefits they deserve.
Call 800-544-9144 today for a free case evaluation.« Return to the Veterans' Resource Center
- Can VA Take Away Your Disability Rating?
- What Should You Include in Your Claim for TDIU?
- Have You Been Denied Veteran Benefits?
- When Will Appeals Reform Take Effect?
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »