The Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA) is a federal law that protects employee pensions and provides rules for many health and welfare benefit plans such as long-term disability (LTD) insurance, life insurance, and health insurance. ERISA typically applies to employer sponsored group benefit plans, provided that the employer is not a church or government.
ERISA is a complex statute full of rules and procedures. However, there are some fundamental principles, for example:
- Plans must provide participants with accurate information regarding the features and benefits of the plan, as well as its funding sources.
- Plan administrators who control plan assets must adhere to strict fiduciary responsibilities.
- Plans must establish a clear and well-defined appeal process for claimants who are denied benefits.
- Plan participants have the right to sue for benefits in federal court.
ERISA preempts most state laws designed to protect consumers. This creates challenges for claimants whose benefits are wrongly terminated or denied. Claimants typically have to file an appeal to the very same insurance company that wrongly denied benefits. In addition, claimants typically must submit all evidence that they would need to win their case in court to the insurance company before the final appeal denial. This is because, with few exceptions, claimants are not allowed to add new medical or vocational evidence to the record after the final appeal denial.
Therefore, it is important that you consult with an experienced ERISA attorney as early in the process as possible, before you file your appeal.
The ERISA attorneys at Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD understand the complexities of ERISA cases and are able to take on the powerful insurance companies. They may be able to handle your LTD, life insurance or health insurance appeal on a contingency basis, with no upfront cost to you.
Call now for a free consultation to see if CCK can assist you: 401-331-6300.« Return to the ERISA & Insurance Litigation Resource Center
- Do You Have Disability Insurance Coverage?
- How Can I Get Advice for Dealing With My ERISA LTD Insurance?
- Do You Qualify for Long Term Disability Benefits?
- Do You Need to Be Concerned About Disability Claim Deadlines?
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »