In the days and weeks after a car crash, you could face many uncertainties: mounting medical costs, weeks or even months of missed work, a severely damaged or totaled car, and so on. A car accident lawyer serving Cumberland, RI can help you after the crash by protecting your rights and helping you win compensation.
At Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD, our attorneys help clients handle life after a car accident and win fair compensation. No matter how your accident occurred, we want to help.
We offer a free consultation, and you do not pay us until you recover compensation for your damages, so there is no risk to calling us: 401-331-6300.
Do I Need to Hire a Lawyer to Handle My Cumberland Car Accident?
There is no law in Rhode Island requiring you to hire a lawyer after a car accident. But hiring a lawyer can help you immensely. A lawyer can handle your case from start to finish, protecting you and fighting for your right to compensation. Without a lawyer, you would need to handle all the following by yourself:
Communicating with the Insurer
Talking with the insurer can be nerve-wracking. The way you speak casually with friends and family is not always precise. If you speak to an insurance adjuster the same way, the insurance company may try to take advantage of that. For example, if someone were to ask you how you are doing, you might just answer “I’m OK” or “doing better”. You might mean that you are still in pain, but you are better since the accident. An insurance company might take that to mean that you have recovered from your injuries or that you are not as injured as you said you are.
To save you the stress (and from potentially jeopardizing your claim), your CCK lawyer will handle most all communication with the insurance company regarding your injuries.
Negotiating Your Settlement with the Insurer
You almost always have to negotiate with an insurance company, either yours or the other driver’s or both, to receive the compensation you deserve for a car accident. And because they operate for profit, it is rare that an insurance company will give you all the money it is willing to pay in its first offer. Our attorneys know how to negotiate with insurance companies to maximize the money that you receive.
Handling Paperwork and Other Post-Accident Minutiae
As you recover from the accident, you can expect lots of paperwork to begin piling up: insurance documents, medical forms, and so on. Each item on its own might seem manageable; together, these little tasks can add up to a big source of stress.
We take that stress off your shoulders, helping you get organized, filling out paperwork, so you can focus on recovering from your injuries and getting your life back together.
The Other Party’s Insurer Claims I Caused the Accident. Will I Still Be Able to Recover Compensation?
Potentially, yes. Rhode Island follows a pure comparative fault law, which states that accident victims can recover compensation so long as the other party contributed to the accident as well.
Consider the following: you rear-ended a vehicle with burnt-out taillights. The investigation found you 50 percent at-fault for the collision. However, because you could have avoided the collision if the other party had replaced their taillights, the investigation found the other driver 50 percent at-fault as well.
You can recover damages, but your percentage of fault will decrease your compensation proportionally. If you requested $50,000 for your losses, you would be entitled to $25,000 (50 percent).
What Can I Recover for My Accident Claim?
Each accident is different, so the availability and value of your damages will differ. Examples of damages that you may be able to recover include:
- Current and anticipated future medical costs
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity (if your injuries caused you to change careers, work less, or retire)
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Loss of consortium
Determining the value of your economic damages (e.g., medical costs, lost wages, miscellaneous costs) is straightforward. In many cases, we only need receipts or bills to value these losses. For future medical costs or reduced earning capacity, we might need to discuss your case with medical or vocational experts.
To determine your noneconomic losses (e.g., pain and suffering, emotional anguish), we might need to use your testimony or the testimony of friends and family to establish how your accident has affected you.
For a Free Consultation With a Member of the CCK Team, Call 401-331-6300 Today.
At Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD, our attorneys help car accident victims get their lives back together after car accidents. We know how stressful this process can be and endeavor to take as much off your shoulders as possible. Let us put our knowledge and resources to work on your claim. For a free consultation, call 401-331-6300.
OUR CLIENTS LOVE US, AND SO WILL YOU. SEE WHAT CCK CLIENTS HAVE TO SAY.
- It has been one of the best legal experiences that I have personally encountered. Their follow up and their follow thru has been on perfect terms. Wow, they have given me a celebrity experience! Impressive! Read More »
- These people are FANTASTIC!!! I highly recommend this firm to Veterans everywhere. Honest Legal Help like this is priceless and they are extremely skilled. So Satisfied with the results...5 stars!! Read More »
- I cannot begin to say how grateful I am to this Firm. From the Class A staff to the Lawyers, there are no complaints. Everyone treated me fantastic!! After 30 yrs of fighting on my own, they were able to win my case in less than 15 months. Read More »
- My case was initially rejected by the VA but with the thorough review by CC&K , the VA agreed with the case that CC&K made and awarded my initial rating of 30% retroactive to 1975. Read More »
- We had struggled for eight plus years, with the VA, and got nowhere. Our case was sent to CC&K and in less than one year, we were they won all his back pay and 100% rating. We could not be more pleased. We highly recommend this firm for anyone struggling with the VA. Read More »
- I thought I could go it alone. I filed several disability claims through the VA only to be denied over and over again. I knew I needed help. I found that help with the law firm of Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick. They filed for me and won. Read More »
- I'm so glad we sought the help of CCK on my husband's VA claim. We had been going back and forth with the VA for 5 years on his claim without seeing any progress. Then we found CCK and the case was resolved in about a year! Read More »
- I was fighting for my VA disability compensation for 10 years. I was ready to give up and then CCK took my case. I immediately felt at ease because they kept me informed every step of the way and there was so much less stress for me. Read More »