Veterans (VA) Disability Lawyer Serving Amarillo
If you are a military veteran living or working in Amarillo, Texas, and you have a diagnosed medical condition caused by your service or worsened by your service, you may qualify for veterans’ disability benefits. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) grants benefits to veterans whose lives and ability to work are affected by injuries or illnesses that occurred as a result of their active duty military service.
If you filed a claim and VA denied your benefits or underrated the severity of your condition, a VA disability attorney from Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD may be able to help. Call us today at (800) 544-9144 to talk to a member of our team for a free consultation.
Amarillo, TX VA Regional Benefit Offices
6900 Almeda Road
Houston, TX 77030
701 Clay Avenue
Waco, Texas 76799
Amarillo, TX VA Medical Center
6010 Amarillo Boulevard, West
Amarillo, TX 79106-1991
Amarillo, TX VA Statistics
As of 2017, Texas has:
- 1,584,844 veterans
- 177,507 women veterans
Over 13 % of veterans in Texas are military retirees.
Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD May Be Able to Help You Get VA Benefits in Amarillo, TX
Before a veterans (VA) disability lawyer serving Amarillo, Texas can help you file an appeal, or before you can even begin your initial claim, it is important to understand the types of medical conditions that could qualify for VA disability. The eligibility criteria for VA monetary benefits include having an illness or injury that occurred because of, or got worse because of, your military service.
This can include a wide range of medical conditions diagnosed or treated at Thomas E. Creek VA Medical Center in Amarillo, other VA hospitals or clinics, or your private doctor. Some common conditions that veterans receive VA disability compensation for include:
- Chronic pain and related injuries, often to the back
- Lung and breathing conditions
- Hearing loss
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
A VA grant of benefits based on a service-connected health condition could include financial support, health care benefits, and other types of benefits.
Navigating the VA Claims Process in Amarillo, Texas
If you have a medical condition related to your active duty service that affects your ability to work and live a normal life, you may qualify for VA compensation benefits.
Generally, an approval/grant requires three things:
- An in-service event, injury, or illness
- A current diagnosis by a medical professional
- A medical nexus, or link, between your in-service event, injury, or illness and your current diagnosis
Proving these three things is often quite difficult and denials are common.
You Have Options for Challenging a VA Disability Denial in Amarillo, TX
You have one year from the date on your VA denial letter. Call Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD as soon as you learn of your denial. A veterans (VA) disability lawyer serving Amarillo, Texas can help you appeal the VA’s decision and ensure that your appeal is filed in a timely fashion.
On February 19, 2019, VA changed the decision review process for all claims with decisions that occurred after that date. This new system offers three options for challenging VA’s decision in your case. These options include:
- Requesting a higher-level review of your existing claim file by a senior rating specialist
- Filing a supplemental claim with new and relevant evidence that could change the rating specialist’s decision
- Filing an appeal directly to the Board of Veterans’ Appeals in Washington, DC.
Each option has its pros and cons, but as our client, we can help you decide which one is right for your case.
Your Monthly Benefits Depend on Your Combined Disability Rating
If you have multiple service-connected conditions, VA will calculate your combined disability rating based on the individual ratings assigned to your disabilities. Once VA determines your combined disability rating, you will know what you can expect to receive each month in terms of financial compensation.
As of December 1st, 2020 the VA disability rate benefit amounts are as follows:
- 0 percent disability rating: $0.00 per month
- 10 percent disability rating: $144.14 per month
- 20 percent disability rating: $284.93 per month
- 30 percent disability rating: $441.35 per month
- 40 percent disability rating: $635.77 per month
- 50 percent disability rating: $905.04 per month
- 60 percent disability rating: $1,146.39 per month
- 70 percent disability rating: $1,444.71 per month
- 80 percent disability rating: $1,679.35 per month
- 90 percent disability rating: $1,887.18 per month
- 100 percent disability rating: $3,146.42 per month
Talk to a Veterans (VA) Disability Lawyer Serving Amarillo, Texas
If you filed a claim for VA disability benefits, and VA denied your claim or gave you an inadequate disability rating, you have the right to challenge the decision. A veterans’ advocate from Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD may be able to help. Let us review your case for free. We serve veterans in Amarillo and elsewhere in Texas.
Call (800) 544-9144 today to discuss your case with a member of our team. If we decide to work together, we will fight for the benefits you deserve and we do not get paid unless we are successful in getting you a retroactive award of benefits.